Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3rd Year Shelf Help
paTHey everyone!

Current third year here, trying to find out why I’m not getting As on shelf exams. I go through the resources for each rotation and study them hard, but I’m still missing an A on the shelf (for our school it’s 70th percentile) by literally a couple percentage points each time. You’re required to get an A on the shelf to get an A in the rotation. Does anyone have any tips on how to approach the tests differently? I’d really like to ace the rest of the year. Especially my surgery rotation coming up. In the mid 240s for Step 1 if it helps. Thanks!

Also have been using the recommended resources for each shelf as stated in a couple reddit threads and SDN threads. My actual evaluations and comments are all in the top 5% of students (there’s a box for that on our evaluations) with awesome MSPE comments, just not A’s for these first three rotations. Couldn’t edit since I posted as a guest.
HEY MAN USE SOME SMALLER FONT
use uworld for that area of study, also fwiw the surgery shelf is mostly medicine so probably would redo that section as well
FWIW, I'm a 4th year interviewing now. My school has a similar clerkship grading policy. I never made it above the 75th percentile on any shelf and accordingly got no honors 3rd year (even though my clinical evals were mostly honors). No one on the trail has asked about it or seems to care, and I have 30+ interview offers. I really think Step 1 + research/pubs + letters is the key to matching.
(11-22-2017, 12:50 PM)Guest Wrote: FWIW, I'm a 4th year interviewing now. My school has a similar clerkship grading policy. I never made it above the 75th percentile on any shelf and accordingly got no honors 3rd year (even though my clinical evals were mostly honors). No one on the trail has asked about it or seems to care, and I have 30+ interview offers. I really think Step 1 + research/pubs + letters is the key to matching.

did you match to one of your top 3 on your list?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)