Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dartmouth
Has anyone done a sub-i at Dartmouth? I know its a small program etc, but I love the outdoors and I am very interested. Any insight into culture, program strengths, volume, etc?
pretty bad volume. Honestly a very weak program
^ most likely just wants to match there. This is a world class program where you will gain tons of experience. There are a few home students applying this year tho, they may take their own? Nonetheless you should rank this program HIGH on your list.
(11-30-2017, 10:30 AM)Guest Wrote: ^ most likely just wants to match there.  This is a world class program where you will gain tons of experience.  There are a few home students applying this year tho, they may take their own?  Nonetheless you should rank this program HIGH on your list.

Most likely a Dartmouth resident.  Far from world class, more like local referral center.  Rank them high if you want to live in the middle of nowhere and freeze all winter.  There are many comparable programs out there, rank the middling at best.
Small but great place. They have surprisingly strong tumor and functional volume, but are comparatively weak in peds and vascular, although when I was there the vascular person had recently left and they were still looking for a replacement. The residents are a good/busy group with a lot of autonomy. Midlevels managed the inpatient service during day and take some of the overnight call so residents can operate. Still, it is a one a year program so expect a lot of call. The longstanding chair retired recently, and the new one (Ryken) was just starting. They have a very impressive new OR facility with interop mri/ct that they also use for research. It is pretty much “in the woods” geographically and that’s not for everyone, but if you like the outdoors like you say you do it is one of the few places that can combine this with really good training.  While a small program, I think it’s probably one of the better ones of its size.
(12-03-2017, 10:12 PM)Guest Wrote: Small but great place. They have surprisingly strong tumor and functional volume, but are comparatively weak in peds and vascular, although when I was there the vascular person had recently left and they were still looking for a replacement. The residents are a good/busy group with a lot of autonomy. Midlevels managed the inpatient service during day and take some of the overnight call so residents can operate. Still, it is a one a year program so expect a lot of call. The longstanding chair retired recently, and the new one (Ryken) was just starting. They have a very impressive new OR facility with interop mri/ct that they also use for research. It is pretty much “in the woods” geographically and that’s not for everyone, but if you like the outdoors like you say you do it is one of the few places that can combine this with really good training.  While a small program, I think it’s probably one of the better ones of its size.

This is a huge problem with ALL 1/year programs, if one attending leaves then you're screwed. If one resident leaves, you're screwed even harder.
(11-30-2017, 10:30 AM)Guest Wrote: ^ most likely just wants to match there.  This is a world class program where you will gain tons of experience.  There are a few home students applying this year tho, they may take their own?  Nonetheless you should rank this program HIGH on your list.

There are two Dartmouth students on the trail this cycle. If you look at their current residents they tend to match from other institutions.
(12-13-2017, 08:32 AM)Guest Wrote:

There are two Dartmouth students on the trail this cycle. If you look at their current residents they tend to match from other institutions.

So they haven't taken one of their own in a while... that would make me think they WILL take one this time.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)