Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.38 Average
Interview venting
Just wanted to throw some thoughts out there, not looking for rationalization, so have some chill.

Number 1 and basically only: When the interviewer has not read your app and starts off with, what questions do you have about this program. Bruh, I specialize in BSing, I can smell it a mile away. We're asking for one half-day of yours to help determine who your residents will be. We've prepared an app, been selected, and have traveled to your doorstep. Read the frickin app.

There are many programs where it's clear my interviewers have read my app, and take an interest in me. It does so much to my rank list. Thank you guys!
I know exactly what you are talking about. Sharing my experience: I ended up matching in a place where I felt they had read my app. I felt comfortable on the interview day. With all the inconveniences in the process, I actually do believe the "Match" works in matching programs with their best "fits".
tbh usually there are a select few that fully read and evaluate the application of each candidate. then other staff will just browse through it. So if you come to my program to interview, you'll get a mix. chairman and residency director in some places have higher pull and they will spend more time w the application than the other staff
Completely agree! I'm always grateful to be invited to interview, but most require considerable cost. Having an interviewer start off with 'What questions do you have for me?' reflects that they don't seem to care about getting to know a potential trainee.

I have no problem with interviewers not having time to review applications, but alternative 'icebreaker' questions that require no prior investment of time include: 'Tell me a little bit about yourself', 'Why Neurosurgery?', 'Where did you do your Sub-Internships?', 'What makes you interested in our program?' etc. I've even loved interviews where people asked what the last movie I saw was, because it at least they were interested in having a conversation with someone that's really excited to have the opportunity to interview for a position at their program and has invested a nontrivial amount of time and money to do so.
I think we should ban the whole "what questions do you have for me?" Thing. If I have questions, I'll email you... literally the dumbest thing on the trail and a big freaking waste of time, ESPECIALLY when it's the first freaking thing they ask you.
i am foreign grad and have 6 interviews. are there more interviews left?
I’ve gotten some recently from cancellations and made some cancellations myself so yes.
(12-07-2017, 04:56 PM)Neurofibroma Wrote: Just wanted to throw some thoughts out there, not looking for rationalization, so have some chill.

Number 1 and basically only: When the interviewer has not read your app and starts off with, what questions do you have about this program. Bruh, I specialize in BSing, I can smell it a mile away. We're asking for one half-day of yours to help determine who your residents will be. We've prepared an app, been selected, and have traveled to your doorstep. Read the frickin app.

There are many programs where it's clear my interviewers have read my app, and take an interest in me. It does so much to my rank list. Thank you guys!
he attending doesn't realize how unique of a snowflake you are. 

It's just that the attending doesn't realize how unique of a snowflake you are. Or that this interview process inconveniences you. It's almost as if the attending neurosurgeon doesn't really care about you. I know its shocking. Stay unique, snowflake.
Got him... one year later lol

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)