Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does PSLF work in Neurosurgery
As the name implies is public service loan forgiveness compatible with neurosurgery.  Assuming you do pay-as-you-earn in residency.  Residency is 7 of the 10 years, how much of my $280k loan can I expect to pay back, and have forgiven.
(01-11-2018, 12:21 AM)Broke Wrote: As the name implies is public service loan forgiveness compatible with neurosurgery.  Assuming you do pay-as-you-earn in residency.  Residency is 7 of the 10 years, how much of my $280k loan can I expect to pay back, and have forgiven.

Oh lord I never thought about this
nope it doesn't unfortunately. kind of bs that it doesnt
Why? I thought you just need 7 years of residency and 3 years working at a nonprofit. The only issue may be the amount you have to pay that last 3 years with the expected salary of 500k+.
You have a tax bill at the end of it, I can't remember the rate, but my ~300k in loans plus interest would equal about 62K in a tax bill at the end of the 10 years. I'm not sure if you can make installment payments on the tax bill, but if a neurosurgeon is responsible he or she should have 62k in cash by the end of 3 years of practicing.

It's also important to note that not 100% of residency programs out there are non-profit. I think almost over 90% of residency programs are non-profit, but you have to submit a form to your program to be forwarded to the dept of education that certifies your employer (residency program) has 501©(3) status.

It's also helpful to know that the 10 years is cumulative, not consecutive. obviously the biggest financial benefit comes from running 10 consecutive years, but if you change employers to a non-profit it can be a good strategy for lessening the student loan burden.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)