Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 2.38 Average
Question about board certification
So, it's my understanding that some time after you complete neurosurgical residency you can take a multi-day test and get board certified by the ABNS. What I don't understand is what it means when I hear 3rd and 4th year residents taking "the boards" for credit. Are these components of the same board, or is this something different? I realize this probably seems super ignorant to many of you, but I've never gotten a clear answer on this and would love some clarification.
(12-26-2016, 12:41 AM)dispo Wrote: So, it's my understanding that some time after you complete neurosurgical residency you can take a multi-day test and get board certified by the ABNS. What I don't understand is what it means when I hear 3rd and 4th year residents taking "the boards" for credit. Are these components of the same board, or is this something different? I realize this probably seems super ignorant to many of you, but I've never gotten a clear answer on this and would love some clarification.

Board certification has 2 parts, written and oral.  Some fields have an in training exam and the written after residency.  Neurosurgery takes the written during residency.  The test is taken for practice until the program director authorizes the resident to take it for credit.  The oral boards are a multi-day test taken after residency, and after a period in practice.
That makes sense. Thank you for the clarification!
(12-26-2016, 01:22 AM)dispo Wrote: That makes sense. Thank you for the clarification!

The oral boards are just one three hour block of exams (they may shorten to 45 minutes each going forward), one hour general neurosurgery that might show up in ER type things, or manage a partner's complication, one hour on your area of specialty if you have one and one hour on your own cases, you bring 10 and they choose several to quiz you on your management.
(03-13-2017, 06:03 PM)Guest17 Wrote:
(12-26-2016, 01:22 AM)dispo Wrote: That makes sense. Thank you for the clarification!

The oral boards are just one three hour block of exams (they may shorten to 45 minutes each going forward), one hour general neurosurgery that might show up in ER type things, or manage a partner's complication, one hour on your area of specialty if you have one and one hour on your own cases, you bring 10 and they choose several to quiz you on your management.

Oral exam sessions are 45 minutes beginning in May 2017.

http://www.abns.org/Board%20Certificatio...tion.aspx/
http://www.abns.org/Board%20Certificatio...tion.aspx/

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)