Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Timing of LORs
Hey all,

Just a quick question about how timing of LORs work:

My school ends rotations in June. That means I have 2 sub-I's before september hits (1 home July, 1 away August). That nets 2 letters of recommendation. How does the third letter work? Do I ask the program director at my 2nd away immediately when I get on the rotation? Or do I get the letter elsewhere?

Thanks in advance.

I got 2 from my home, 1 chair/PD and 1 from my research mentor, and did that rotation in July. Then I got one from my August rotation. That’s 3. Then I got one from my September one it came in maybe a week after Eras opened but seems like it didn’t matter.
Try to get 2 sub-I letters on your app when you submit your app. If you can add a third 2-3 weeks after most programs didn't seem to mind
Should I reach out to program directors from an upcoming sub-I in advance to let them know I want a LOR and send them my CV? I hear it can take them a very long time to get the letters done
(05-21-2018, 09:32 PM)Guest Wrote: Should I reach out to program directors from an upcoming sub-I in advance to let them know I want a LOR and send them my CV? I hear it can take them a very long time to get the letters done

No absolutely not. Very presumptuous and honestly a ridiculous thought. In my experience, programs will set up appointments with chairmen for all rotators for the last week or so. They know you want a letter and the turnaround time is pretty quick as the letter is not too individualized.
Is it better to get a letter from a PD or a chair?
(05-23-2018, 09:56 AM)Guest Wrote: Is it better to get a letter from a PD or a chair?

Probably doesn't matter a whole lot. Here might be some things to consider to help you decide which is best in your case:

1) Who will write you a stronger letter (who did you work with the most/leave the best impression)?
2) Which one is more well connected and is better known in the field?
3) Which one knows someone at a program you would really like to match at?
If I have a sub i that's the whole month of September, is it possible to ask for a letter maybe at the end of the first week... to be ready by 9/15?? :/
try to meet the chair/PD in the first week of subI and ask. most programs are very accomodating
Which is better:

1) get 2 home letters, 1 from first away prior to Sept 15th and one letter from 2nd away to add sometime in late Sept

2) get 3 home letters, 1 from first away, and ignore 2nd away letter?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)