Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No home neurosurgery residency program -- use a sub-i month there first?
My medical school does not have a neurosurgery residency program, though there is another residency program in the same city at a different medical school. I will have 3-4 months for sub-i's/away rotations -- which would you recommend of the following options, and why?

1. Do a neurosurgery rotation at my home institution first, even though there is not an associated residency program. (I've been told this would help me prepare for my away rotations and do well on sub-i's, but I'm hesitant to use up an away rotation slot when I know a rotation at my home institution would not boost my rank list/chances of matching there.)
2. Do my first away rotation at the university hospital/med school in my city with a residency program, and emphasize that I consider them my "home residency program" since my medical school does not have an associated program. (That way they wouldn't expect me to already have done a rotation at my home institution? This is a program that I am interested in attending for residency, and so I don't want to ruin my chances by being unprepared for my sub-i there.)
3. Do a neuroradiology rotation at my medical school first, then follow with option #2. (I thought this might increase my preparedness for neurosurgery sub-i's since I would refine my anatomical and radiographic knowledge.)

Any advice would be much appreciated!
(01-06-2017, 07:36 PM)guest Wrote: My medical school does not have a neurosurgery residency program, though there is another residency program in the same city at a different medical school. I will have 3-4 months for sub-i's/away rotations -- which would you recommend of the following options, and why?

1. Do a neurosurgery rotation at my home institution first, even though there is not an associated residency program. (I've been told this would help me prepare for my away rotations and do well on sub-i's, but I'm hesitant to use up an away rotation slot when I know a rotation at my home institution would not boost my rank list/chances of matching there.)
2. Do my first away rotation at the university hospital/med school in my city with a residency program, and emphasize that I consider them my "home residency program" since my medical school does not have an associated program. (That way they wouldn't expect me to already have done a rotation at my home institution? This is a program that I am interested in attending for residency, and so I don't want to ruin my chances by being unprepared for my sub-i there.)
3. Do a neuroradiology rotation at my medical school first, then follow with option #2. (I thought this might increase my preparedness for neurosurgery sub-i's since I would refine my anatomical and radiographic knowledge.)

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Additionally, there is one more option:

4. Do a pediatric neurosurgery rotation through my home institution in preparation for sub-i's. (I'm interested in sub-specializing in peds neurosurgery. This would give me experience and help set me up for my sub-i's, I believe, but the cases may be too different to adequately prepare me for my away rotations?)
I think doing your first sub-I in the most protected environment is the best option. Obviously, this is just my opinion, but when I did my first one I was completely clueless as to how to prepare the lists every morning and round, etc. My anatomy knowledge wasn't relevant, and my general understanding of the neurosurgery service was almost 0. I'm lucky that I had a home program w/ residency that knew this about me, and they groomed me into a good sub-I, and I have a lot to thank them for. So I'd hesitate to use an away as my first experience. Like it or not, on your sub-I's you'll be judged at every turn. Best be ready and groomed before going to a sub-I at a place you're actually interested at matching.
(01-09-2017, 09:49 PM)Guest Wrote: I think doing your first sub-I in the most protected environment is the best option. Obviously, this is just my opinion, but when I did my first one I was completely clueless as to how to prepare the lists every morning and round, etc. My anatomy knowledge wasn't relevant, and my general understanding of the neurosurgery service was almost 0. I'm lucky that I had a home program w/ residency that knew this about me, and they groomed me into a good sub-I, and I have a lot to thank them for. So I'd hesitate to use an away as my first experience. Like it or not, on your sub-I's you'll be judged at every turn. Best be ready and groomed before going to a sub-I at a place you're actually interested at matching.  

This is a great comment and I appreciate it.  I have no idea how to match but reading posts like this really helps.  Thank You!
I was in a very similar position. I did my first rotation at home and it really did help get ready for aways. Another sample size of one, but it worked out really well for me. I also ended up doing a late away rotation during the first half of interview season. That was exhausting and I missed a lot of time at that rotation for interviews, but in the end I got a lot more exposure, learned a lot, and got to see another awesome program. Thing work out in the end.
I’ll offer the opposite opinion. I had no home program. I spent two weeks of my gen Surg and 2 weeks of my vacation on my home service. I had also spent a few weeks shadowing in other departments during my first two years of medical school and it was clear to me that my home department was nothing like the two places I had shadowed. I didn’t think a Subi there would be worthwhile. I did 3 aways, they went well and I matched at one of them.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)