Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colorado
I've heard mixed things about this program. Can anybody who sub-I ed here comment on this program? Volume must be great, seems like most graduates go into private practice and stay around the area, neuro-onc and functional seem to be strengths. Any weaknesses?
(01-24-2018, 05:48 PM)Guest Wrote: I've heard mixed things about this program. Can anybody who sub-I ed here comment on this program? Volume must be great, seems like most graduates go into private practice and stay around the area, neuro-onc and functional seem to be strengths. Any weaknesses?

The only weakness I saw was their trauma experience. The Anschutz Medical Campus (which is the primary hospital for CU) is a level 2 trauma center. In the past, they rotated through Denver Health, and they are beginning to re-enter into an agreement with them, so this may get better. 

Overall, I thought it was an amazing program. Residents are very cordial and they operate a lot. All of the subspecialties are covered very well. They are the primary team on the ICU which could be a pro or con depending on what you want out of a program. Dr. Lillihei is one of the nicest chairs you will ever meet. CU has tons of resources and have a very impressive skull base course taught by Dr. Youssef. They are relatively weak with research, but seem to be getting much better with the addition of Dr. Ormond. I think they now have 5 peds attendings, so they are very busy in their Children's Hospital.
(01-25-2018, 11:33 AM)Guest Wrote:
(01-24-2018, 05:48 PM)Guest Wrote: I've heard mixed things about this program. Can anybody who sub-I ed here comment on this program? Volume must be great, seems like most graduates go into private practice and stay around the area, neuro-onc and functional seem to be strengths. Any weaknesses?

The only weakness I saw was their trauma experience. The Anschutz Medical Campus (which is the primary hospital for CU) is a level 2 trauma center. In the past, they rotated through Denver Health, and they are beginning to re-enter into an agreement with them, so this may get better. 

Overall, I thought it was an amazing program. Residents are very cordial and they operate a lot. All of the subspecialties are covered very well. They are the primary team on the ICU which could be a pro or con depending on what you want out of a program. Dr. Lillihei is one of the nicest chairs you will ever meet. CU has tons of resources and have a very impressive skull base course taught by Dr. Youssef. They are relatively weak with research, but seem to be getting much better with the addition of Dr. Ormond. I think they now have 5 peds attendings, so they are very busy in their Children's Hospital.

They have 5 pedi attendings?  Talk about liability
I'd like to restart this convo since I'm having trouble placing it on my rank list. How is their vascular training/faculty? Is this place malignant?
(02-06-2018, 02:01 PM)Guest Wrote: I'd like to restart this convo since I'm having trouble placing it on my rank list. How is their vascular training/faculty? Is this place malignant?

Pretty benign program.  Not much vascular.
Up and coming program in a great location. You'll have your fair share of research under Abosch and Ormond.
(02-06-2018, 02:04 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-06-2018, 02:01 PM)Guest Wrote: I'd like to restart this convo since I'm having trouble placing it on my rank list. How is their vascular training/faculty? Is this place malignant?

Definitely not malignant. Agree with the vascular statement. Only one guy does open vascular and you will be struggling to get to scrub as a chief even. Otherwise, near perfect program.
(02-07-2018, 03:51 PM)Guest Wrote:

Definitely not malignant. Agree with the vascular statement. Only one guy does open vascular and you will be struggling to get to scrub as a chief even. Otherwise, near perfect program.

That's unfortunate. Has colorado put out any impressive academic people in recent years? Is it more a private practice-geared training?
(02-07-2018, 04:08 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-07-2018, 03:51 PM)Guest Wrote:

That's unfortunate. Has colorado put out any impressive academic people in recent years? Is it more a private practice-geared training?

They are trying to shift towards putting out more Academic physicians, the attendings have clearly established themselves nationally and one of the current Chief residents is doing a Spine fellowship at UCSF next year. The program is definitely not malignant. There is a vascular genius attending but unfortunately he doesn't give much resident autonomy. However, the other services get an incredible amount of autonomy, which is probably attributable to the apprenticeship style and they respect post call days. Really strong program with great lifestyle. Not sure how that will change if they switch the main hospital to a level 1 trauma center
Vascular volume is excellent. Not sure where you are getting your info.
4 IR attendings - 2 neurologists/2 neurosurgeons
3 neurosurgeons doing open vascular

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)