Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chance of matching
I'm an international student in a top 40 US medical school and I've wanted to do NS since I was in college. I'm worried about not matching because of my stats and the fact that I'll need a J1 or H1b visa.
Stats:
Step 1: 238
Step 2: 240+
Honors in all except med and peds (high pass)
2 first author pubs, 1 first author review, 1 book chapter, 2 non-first author pubs
Currently taking a year off for NS research.

Should I apply to all possible NS programs and hope for the best, or dual apply with a backup (not clear on which other specialty yet)? My app basically screams NS so I'm also worried if I dual apply, the other programs will definitely know they are a backup.
Below average Step 1, below average pubs. Definitely back up worthy
what about for me
step 1 240+
step 2 255+
20+ pubs with 6 first author
4 chapters
AOA
I did a HHMI Fellowship last year which yielded 3 talks and 1 first author basic science pub
(01-25-2018, 04:01 PM)Guest Wrote: what about for me
step 1 240+
step 2 255+
20+ pubs with 6 first author
4 chapters
AOA
I did a HHMI Fellowship last year which yielded 3 talks and 1 first author basic science pub

Are you non-US citizen US grad?  If so, you stand a better shot.  If you are US citizen, you're fine.
US MD and US citizen
Chance of matching? And how many away rotations would you recommend? Focused on aways that are not top programs, accept multiple people a year, and have some sort of connect (resident graduated from school, faculty know chair, etc).

Step 1: 244
Step II: haven't taken
Research: 3 publications; 2 co-first author. National presentations: 4 Local presentations (school sponsored or regional conferences): 4
Grades: all pass (pass/fail; no honors at school)
(02-10-2018, 06:03 PM)Guest Wrote: Chance of matching? And how many away rotations would you recommend? Focused on aways that are not top programs, accept multiple people a year, and have some sort of connect (resident graduated from school, faculty know chair, etc).

Research: 3 publications; 2 co-first author. National presentations: 4 Local presentations (school sponsored or regional conferences): 4

Very good odds if you apply broadly. Your step 1 is good enough to get interviews.  Try to get another pub submitted before mid Sept and consider 3-4 sub-I's at mid-upper tier places.
What are my chances?
Step 1: 245
Step 2: Havnt taken the exam (planning to take it after my interviews)

Research (3-4 basic science research projects throughout medical school, with authorship of basic science publication before interview, hopefully)
Accepted publications - 6 (3 first authors)
Submitted publications - 6 (3 first authors on this one too)

Assuming some of the submitted publications get accepted between now and September, what are my chances? Not planning to take Step 2 until after interviews, hoping my research and Step 1 is sufficient for interviews.
apply broadly and you'll be fine to match
(02-10-2018, 07:09 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-10-2018, 06:03 PM)Guest Wrote: Chance of matching? And how many away rotations would you recommend? Focused on aways that are not top programs, accept multiple people a year, and have some sort of connect (resident graduated from school, faculty know chair, etc).

Very good odds if you apply broadly. Your step 1 is good enough to get interviews.  Try to get another pub submitted before mid Sept and consider 3-4 sub-I's at mid-upper tier places.

Thanks for the advice!

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)