Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reputation vs location
Im struggling with prioritizing location vs. reputation with some programs on my rank list. For example:

Program A: Awesome location (love the city, culture etc..), not a bad program but not regarded as one of the best, somewhat inbred, residents aren't very involved in research, not too much placement in academics/producing future chairmen etc... I think I'd be happy in the program but would be afraid that I may be able to do better.

Program B: "Shithole" location (in that I wouldn't be happy with what the city has to offer), but residents were chill, program is highly-regarded, excellent fellowship and job placement, much more academic feel overall higher research output , etc...

Any tips from current residents or junior attendings? Would you sacrifice your quality of life in a given city for the reputation of the program?
(01-30-2018, 11:13 PM)Guest Wrote: Im struggling with prioritizing location vs. reputation with some programs on my rank list. For example:

Program A: Awesome location (love the city, culture etc..), not a bad program but not regarded as one of the best, somewhat inbred, residents aren't very involved in research, not too much placement in academics/producing future chairmen etc... I think I'd be happy in the program but would be afraid that I may be able to do better.

Program B: "Shithole" location (in that I wouldn't be happy with what the city has to offer), but residents were chill, program is highly-regarded, excellent fellowship and job placement, much more academic feel overall higher research output , etc...

Any tips from current residents or junior attendings? Would you sacrifice your quality of life in a given city for the reputation of the program?

It comes down to you and your personal priorities. The reality is that as a neurosurgery resident you will be spending almost all your waking hours in the hospital. Whether that is in Rochester, MN or UES Manhattan your daily life will not change appreciably based on the city. That being said, its a 7 year program in the prime of your life, so your opportunities to meet people or be geographically close to your family will vary tremendously based on location. If an academic career is your goal, there are significant differences between programs - while almost all programs will train you to be a competent clinical neurosurgeon, your research opportunities and program reputation will place you on very different career trajectories.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)