Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 1.56 Average
In search of a PGY2 position
(02-04-2019, 08:49 AM)Guest Wrote:
(02-03-2019, 12:33 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-03-2019, 07:39 AM)Guest Wrote: Are they busy enough to support 3 residents/year??

Yes. Any suggestion otherwise is either trolling, or people who heard from someone who heard from someone who sub-i'd there 10 years ago. Their volume is fine. It's not Pitt or Barrow but it's still above average.
No it's not fine. I did a subI there and we were triple scrubbing with 2 other residents. It w as s sad!

Someone should do a study and see what percentage of residents think that their programs volume is above average. 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_superiority
(02-04-2019, 09:47 AM)Guest Wrote:
(02-04-2019, 08:49 AM)Guest Wrote:
(02-03-2019, 12:33 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-03-2019, 07:39 AM)Guest Wrote: Are they busy enough to support 3 residents/year??

Yes. Any suggestion otherwise is either trolling, or people who heard from someone who heard from someone who sub-i'd there 10 years ago. Their volume is fine. It's not Pitt or Barrow but it's still above average.
No it's not fine. I did a subI there and we were triple scrubbing with 2 other residents. It w as s sad!

Someone should do a study and see what percentage of residents think that their programs volume is above average. 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_superiority

let's see: attending, chief, senior, junior, intern, 4th year mS, 3rd year MS, scrub tech in the OR...

let's everyone ooh and ahh the attending and clap as he/she removes the disc
I am a senior resident at a top ten program.

I find the post from the resident that quit moving, and also disconcerting.  I think this resident should have stuck it out and have the last laugh on graduation day followed by having a great career.  As Admiral McRaven (former head of the Navy SEALS) once said, there are sharks everywhere and the best way to defend against one is to [metaphorically] punch one in the nose.  Watch his University of Texas Commencement speech from a few years ago.

At the same time, I am appalled by the unempathic responses of some of the other posters, so-called doctors, people who allegedly care about taking care of other human beings.  Any senior resident that bullies younger residents for their own pleasure or to compensate for their own insecurities has no right to be a physician and should be shown the door.  Neurosurgery is a tough sport and poor attitudes and poor leadership don't lead to better patient outcomes.  I don't need Level 1 evidence or publication in a top journal to prove my point.  The program director, if they're worth their salt, should feel obligated to handle the problem for the sake of the future of the program.  Studies show losing junior residents leads to fewer senior residents in later years.

Lastly, have some empathy and walk in someone else's shoes before you sink this resident.  I hope the poster finds a spot and outlasts his/her future challenges.  Success requires it.
(02-08-2018, 04:33 PM)Seeking PGY2 Position Wrote: I believe the UCSF position was filled already, and Emory and Stanford don't have openings when I contacted them recently. I will check with Wayne State.
If anyone has any other leads, please email me neurosurgeryapplicant@gmail.com or PM me.  Thank you!

any luck with wayne?
(02-19-2019, 12:59 AM)Guest Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 04:33 PM)Seeking PGY2 Position Wrote: I believe the UCSF position was filled already, and Emory and Stanford don't have openings when I contacted them recently. I will check with Wayne State.
If anyone has any other leads, please email me neurosurgeryapplicant@gmail.com or PM me.  Thank you!

any luck with wayne?

well definitely considering people...
(02-21-2019, 06:25 PM)RGuest Wrote:
(02-19-2019, 12:59 AM)Guest Wrote:

any luck with wayne?

well definitely considering people...

Yeah we are interviewing
Can one still apply to the Wayne State program or is too late?
(02-26-2019, 12:16 AM)Guest Wrote: Can one still apply to the Wayne State program or is too late?

for what, the match?
(02-26-2019, 01:17 AM)Guest Wrote:
(02-26-2019, 12:16 AM)Guest Wrote: Can one still apply to the Wayne State program or is too late?

for what, the match?

no for the open spot they had.
any pgy4/5 spots?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)