Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Peds Sub-I
Some schools offer peds sub-I's (especially if curious about/interested in peds), are they worth doing or is it better to do the adult rotations to get letters and do more stuff?
(02-22-2018, 12:50 PM)bregma Wrote: Some schools offer peds sub-I's (especially if curious about/interested in peds), are they worth doing or is it better to do the adult rotations to get letters and do more stuff?

There are big names in neurosurgery that treat small people. I should think that  strong letter from one of them would not be counted any differently from their adult-focused colleagues. If you are interested in peds, could be a good opportunity to learn and make connections. You are correct that you may be less involved in the actual procedures, however.
Sample size of 1 here, but I did a pediatric rotation and loved it. I got what is described to me as a strong letter from it, and had a great time in the OR.
Depends, if PD / Chair does peds, DEFINITELY spend a week with them.

If not it’s kinda hit or miss since that’s one less week spent with the main service, usually with the main attendings/residents who will be evaluating your application so unlikely to be worth it.
(02-22-2018, 12:50 PM)bregma Wrote: Some schools offer peds sub-I's (especially if curious about/interested in peds), are they worth doing or is it better to do the adult rotations to get letters and do more stuff?
I think my time on the peds neurosurgery service at one of my aways was the best time I had. If a school has a peds hospital definitely want to spend time there as you get more one-on-one time if there are a lot of subi's and I think its important to determine if you want to go to a residency with a separate 6-12 months peds rotation or to a school that has peds integrated throughout 7 years (often at a program without a separate peds center)

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)