Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.2 Average
Sub-I Choice: Stanford vs. UW
Hey everyone, 

Trying to decide between these two sub-is as my "west coast" choice for an away. Does anyone have any insight on this? Its a hard decision to make. 

Thanks
T
Where are your other sub-Is?
(03-01-2018, 06:57 PM)Guest Wrote: Where are your other sub-Is?

Currently trying to decide between Penn and Emory, though there are some other programs that im floating ideas about on the east coast. Those two are at the top though.
I would make sure to do your research (as you are doing) before deciding which west coast sub internships you will be completing.

Some, such as UCSF, only strongly consider applicants that do a sub-internship with them. Others are not so choosy. If it makes no difference to you, you may want to consider this and keep your options open by doing the sub-I at the "choosier" place.
(03-01-2018, 07:05 PM)Guest Wrote: I would make sure to do your research (as you are doing) before deciding which west coast sub internships you will be completing.

Some, such as UCSF, only strongly consider applicants that do a sub-internship with them. Others are not so choosy. If it makes no difference to you, you may want to consider this and keep your options open by doing the sub-I at the "choosier" place.

Word, thanks!
I think one of the main purposes of a sub-I is to learn about yourself. As such, Stanford and Penn tend to me more "academic". As such, I would either do: Stanford - Emory or UWash - Penn. I'm not sure the whole thing about only taking sub-Is seriously holds water for any of the institutions that have a reputation for doing so, such as Barrow, UCSF, UWash, etc.
(03-01-2018, 07:33 PM)Guest Wrote: I think one of the main purposes of a sub-I is to learn about yourself. As such, Stanford and Penn tend to me more "academic". As such, I would either do: Stanford - Emory or UWash - Penn. I'm not sure the whole thing about only taking sub-Is seriously holds water for any of the institutions that have a reputation for doing so, such as Barrow, UCSF, UWash, etc.

Thats what ive been hearing from other people as well, those pairings. I appreciate you taking your time to answer this question for me!
UW - trauma, call will always be busy but good exposure to lots of cases
Stanford - heard the triple scrub, but good environment to learn academic neurosurgery, on the easier side of subis
did not do subi at Emory but did not hear of any subis there ranking them high
(03-01-2018, 11:03 PM)Guest Wrote: UW - trauma, call will always be busy but good exposure to lots of cases
Stanford - heard the triple scrub, but good environment to learn academic neurosurgery, on the easier side of subis
did not do subi at Emory but did not hear of any subis there ranking them high

Why play for the A's when you could be an SF Giant?
Stanford was my hardest (but most educational) Subi, if it was easy you were doing it wrong. As a Subi I was often the second scrub. Definitely not a war zone experience ala harborview or LA county. I think both would be good Subi’s just depends on what type of program you are looking for.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)