Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emory
Hi, can anyone comment on what the sub-I is like here? Degree of involvement, case exposure, hours, teaching atmosphere? Thanks!
Did a SubI last year, had an incredible time. 3 different locations (4 if you choose to rotate with their peds group, I did, literally the best week of all of my SubIs). Main university hospital very academic, 4-5 rooms a day. Tumor, vascular, tons of functional and even peripheral nerve if that's your thing. Attendings (esp Olson and Boulis) give a lot of autonomy and actively watch and teach residents. Truly insane number of pituitaries being done by Oyesiku. Barrow is more involved than I expected, but was told that this is because this year's chiefs aren't interested in open vascular. (Take that for what it's worth). The number of connected faculty is incredible - former CNS/AANS presidents, board presidents, guideline gurus, etc. PGY2s usually had their own independent rooms with the lower level cases, pumps, batteries, etc. I saw a 6 lead a 2 thru a suboccip for tumor skin to skin. Midtown (downtown hospital) is nearly all elective spine. Attendings there are absolutely fantastic - Rodts is probably the nicest, most educational attending I met on SubIs. 2 Younger spine guys there and the opportunity to work with ortho spine folks as well. PGY4s only on service there, and they literally did every case single scrubbed with the attending, so all were very, very capable. Grady is the trauma center and is everything you'd expect. Large list, resident-run, always moving. Surprising number of elective vascular, open skull base there and it's one of the headquarters of the new study for Brainpath. If you're into endovascular, they have 6 (!) attendings, all in NSGY department, who do it full time. Attendings rarely scrub for more than a few mins, but are present and educational. Peds group at Egleston (Chern and Wrubel) are first rate and I think they have the highest volume in the nation. SubI didn't take me to any of the other site (I think there are 3 others)

SubI itself seems very open ended. Spent most time at EUH with the juniors who pretty much let us work as much or as little as we wanted. One other SubI with me didn't pre-round, and the residents seemed to notice. Did most in the OR at Midtown and grady, mostly opening/closing although did put in several screws. Current 6/7s are great teachers and really want juniors and med students involved. One chief had done enfolded tumor I think, another had done enfolded spine and is going on to Shekhar's fellowship. One 6 pimped me nonstop thru a case but it was friendly and not intimidating. Overall low stress and educational. I would say that weaknesses are no dedicated skull base program (oyesiku does pituitaries but not much else, it seems) and there's not much direct teaching/conferences if you want that. Nobody there wants to be told what to do.

Rotated at Pitt, Emory, and my home (Midwest) program and liked Emory the best. Ended up ranking it very highly. You should definitely check it out
(03-04-2018, 10:02 AM)Guest Wrote: Did a SubI last year, had an incredible time.  3 different locations (4 if you choose to rotate with their peds group, I did, literally the best week of all of my SubIs).  Main university hospital very academic, 4-5 rooms a day.  Tumor, vascular, tons of functional and even peripheral nerve if that's your thing.  Attendings (esp Olson and Boulis) give a lot of autonomy and actively watch and teach residents.  Truly insane number of pituitaries being done by Oyesiku.  Barrow is more involved than I expected, but was told that this is because this year's chiefs aren't interested in open vascular.  (Take that for what it's worth).  The number of connected faculty is incredible - former CNS/AANS presidents, board presidents, guideline gurus, etc.  PGY2s usually had their own independent rooms with the lower level cases, pumps, batteries, etc.  I saw a 6 lead a 2 thru a suboccip for tumor skin to skin.  Midtown (downtown hospital) is nearly all elective spine.  Attendings there are absolutely fantastic - Rodts is probably the nicest, most educational attending I met on SubIs.  2 Younger spine guys there and the opportunity to work with ortho spine folks as well.  PGY4s only on service there, and they literally did every case single scrubbed with the attending, so all were very, very capable.  Grady is the trauma center and is everything you'd expect.  Large list, resident-run, always moving.  Surprising number of elective vascular, open skull base there and it's one of the headquarters of the new study for Brainpath.  If you're into endovascular, they have 6 (!) attendings, all in NSGY department, who do it full time.  Attendings rarely scrub for more than a few mins, but are  present and educational.  Peds group at Egleston (Chern and Wrubel) are first rate and I think they have the highest volume in the nation.  SubI didn't take me to any of the other site (I think there are 3 others)

SubI itself seems very open ended.  Spent most time at EUH with the juniors who pretty much let us work as much or as little as we wanted.  One other SubI with me didn't pre-round, and the residents seemed to notice.  Did most in the OR at Midtown and grady, mostly opening/closing although did put in several screws.  Current 6/7s are great teachers and really want juniors and med students involved.  One chief had done enfolded tumor I think, another had done enfolded spine and is going on to Shekhar's fellowship.  One 6 pimped me nonstop thru a case but it was friendly and not intimidating.  Overall low stress and educational.  I would say that weaknesses are no dedicated skull base program (oyesiku does pituitaries but not much else, it seems) and there's not much direct teaching/conferences if you want that.  Nobody there wants to be told what to do.

Rotated at Pitt, Emory, and my home (Midwest) program and liked Emory the best.  Ended up ranking it very highly.  You should definitely check it out
Thanks for the feedback! Not to hijack, but would you mind sharing your experience at Pitt on the Pitt thread? You describe your experience well and I think it would be helpful to everyone. Not to make more work for you though haha
(03-04-2018, 10:02 AM)Guest Wrote: Did a SubI last year, had an incredible time.  3 different locations (4 if you choose to rotate with their peds group, I did, literally the best week of all of my SubIs).  Main university hospital very academic, 4-5 rooms a day.  Tumor, vascular, tons of functional and even peripheral nerve if that's your thing.  Attendings (esp Olson and Boulis) give a lot of autonomy and actively watch and teach residents.  Truly insane number of pituitaries being done by Oyesiku.  Barrow is more involved than I expected, but was told that this is because this year's chiefs aren't interested in open vascular.  (Take that for what it's worth).  The number of connected faculty is incredible - former CNS/AANS presidents, board presidents, guideline gurus, etc.  PGY2s usually had their own independent rooms with the lower level cases, pumps, batteries, etc.  I saw a 6 lead a 2 thru a suboccip for tumor skin to skin.  Midtown (downtown hospital) is nearly all elective spine.  Attendings there are absolutely fantastic - Rodts is probably the nicest, most educational attending I met on SubIs.  2 Younger spine guys there and the opportunity to work with ortho spine folks as well.  PGY4s only on service there, and they literally did every case single scrubbed with the attending, so all were very, very capable.  Grady is the trauma center and is everything you'd expect.  Large list, resident-run, always moving.  Surprising number of elective vascular, open skull base there and it's one of the headquarters of the new study for Brainpath.  If you're into endovascular, they have 6 (!) attendings, all in NSGY department, who do it full time.  Attendings rarely scrub for more than a few mins, but are  present and educational.  Peds group at Egleston (Chern and Wrubel) are first rate and I think they have the highest volume in the nation.  SubI didn't take me to any of the other site (I think there are 3 others)

SubI itself seems very open ended.  Spent most time at EUH with the juniors who pretty much let us work as much or as little as we wanted.  One other SubI with me didn't pre-round, and the residents seemed to notice.  Did most in the OR at Midtown and grady, mostly opening/closing although did put in several screws.  Current 6/7s are great teachers and really want juniors and med students involved.  One chief had done enfolded tumor I think, another had done enfolded spine and is going on to Shekhar's fellowship.  One 6 pimped me nonstop thru a case but it was friendly and not intimidating.  Overall low stress and educational.  I would say that weaknesses are no dedicated skull base program (oyesiku does pituitaries but not much else, it seems) and there's not much direct teaching/conferences if you want that.  Nobody there wants to be told what to do.

Rotated at Pitt, Emory, and my home (Midwest) program and liked Emory the best.  Ended up ranking it very highly.  You should definitely check it out

Very detailed info, that helps a lot. Thank you!
bump. any thoughts?
still a solid program, spine remains a weakness. Rodts is only big name and does smaller cases than he used to. zero deformity experience
(06-12-2018, 10:56 PM)Guest Wrote: still a solid program, spine remains a weakness. Rodts is only big name and does smaller cases than he used to. zero deformity experience

I find these sort of comments really amusing.  Is there any program in the country where you do enough deformity during residency alone to justify not doing a fellowship?  I highly doubt it.  Same could be said for open vascular, peripheral nerve, expanded endonasal skull base, etc.  I interviewed at Emory, the new nsgy spine attending is deformity trained and doing tons of cases, and some of the guys said would go to ortho deformity cases as well.  I think one of the current chiefs wants to do deformity and so is going for a fellowship, which is pretty much required I think
What's the call schedule like for rotators...q4?
(01-22-2018, 02:19 PM)Guest Wrote: Got a call from a faculty member over the weekend. Heard that others have gotten calls too.

(06-13-2018, 11:50 AM)Guest Wrote:
(06-12-2018, 10:56 PM)Guest Wrote: still a solid program, spine remains a weakness. Rodts is only big name and does smaller cases than he used to. zero deformity experience

I find these sort of comments really amusing.  Is there any program in the country where you do enough deformity during residency alone to justify not doing a fellowship?  I highly doubt it.  Same could be said for open vascular, peripheral nerve, expanded endonasal skull base, etc.  I interviewed at Emory, the new nsgy spine attending is deformity trained and doing tons of cases, and some of the guys said would go to ortho deformity cases as well.  I think one of the current chiefs wants to do deformity and so is going for a fellowship, which is pretty much required I think

There are several programs where residents do tons of deformity, UVA UPitt Miami come to mind. These programs graduate neurosurgeons who understand deformity. another concern is most of the big names at emory are close to retirement age.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)