Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 2.1 Average
Is three away rotations overdoing it?
I have been getting mixed advice on trying to get in three subi's in a row v only two before ERAS is due. I want to get as much exposure as possible but also don't want to die. Any advice either for or against here? Thanks
If you have an average/below average application then do 3.

If you have an above average application then do then do however many you want.

And if you're worried about "dying" with 3 months of neurosurg back to back then how are you going to deal with residency?
Do you have a home program? If not then definitely three. If you're doing a home SubI then three additional aways might be too much if you're already a strong applicant. If you're dead set on doing three aways then try to diversify. Do a strong academic program, an operative program and a balanced program.
(03-11-2018, 09:46 PM)Guest Wrote: If you have an average/below average application then do 3.

If you have an above average application then do then do however many you want.

And if you're worried about "dying" with 3 months of neurosurg back to back then how are you going to deal with residency?

Yeah, the dying comment was not literal. It's just regarding the fact that you want to be at your very best while you are doing aways. And flying across the country for your third rotation in a row and giving it your all might be a tough endeavor.

(03-12-2018, 12:20 AM)Guest Wrote: Do you have a home program? If not then definitely three. If you're doing a home SubI then three additional aways might be too much if you're already a strong applicant. If you're dead set on doing three aways then try to diversify. Do a strong academic program, an operative program and a balanced program.

I appreciate the post. I believe I am a strong applicant and do have a home program but am currently on the rotation now. So it wont be four straight neurosurg rotations, I will have a few months of 3rd year left before starting my subis. I am not dead set on three either, but definitely want to diversify program wise as well as regionally.
i applied this cycle and matched. I feel that there is a big advantage to doing 3 aways and I regret doing 2. Doing well on an away at a program ensures an interview invite. Even if you are a standout applicant, it is easy to get lost in the fray at many desirable places and not be invited to interview. Doing an additional rotation secures an interview at another hopefully great place. Just my 2 cents.

I also was given the advice to diversify my programs, but think this is not a good idea. It is better to decide now what you want. If you are interested in high volume rotate at places like BNI, USC, Miami, Pitt. If you want high powered academia, rotate at Columbia, UCSF, Michigan, UCLA. The types of aways you do will signify the types of places you are interested in. Obviously the academic places also operate and the operative places have research. I think doing a mix sends a confusing picture. In any case, I did a mix of programs for aways and was very happy with my interview season and ROL. I just think that I sold myself a little short by not picking a more academic second away.
Usc and Pitt are both academic. Have NS faculty with R01 grants
I do have to say that subI's were worse than residency so I wouldn't listen to anyone who tells you that if can't handle 3 SubI's back to back that you should reconsider residency. At least in residency you have some security.
(03-12-2018, 09:55 PM)Guest Wrote: i applied this cycle and matched. I feel that there is a big advantage to doing 3 aways and I regret doing 2. Doing well on an away at a program ensures an interview invite. Even if you are a standout applicant, it is easy to get lost in the fray at many desirable places and not be invited to interview. Doing an additional rotation secures an interview at another hopefully great place. Just my 2 cents.

I also was given the advice to diversify my programs, but think this is not a good idea. It is better to decide now what you want. If you are interested in high volume rotate at places like BNI, USC, Miami, Pitt. If you want high powered academia, rotate at Columbia, UCSF, Michigan, UCLA. The types of aways you do will signify the types of places you are interested in. Obviously the academic places also operate and the operative places have research. I think doing a mix sends a confusing picture. In any case, I did a mix of programs for aways and was very happy with my interview season and ROL. I just think that I sold myself a little short by not picking a more academic second away.

I respectfully disagree. I think med students should take this time to experiment with different flavors of programs. Even if you're an MD-PhD it doesn't mean you'll be in academia 10 years down the line. If you are dead set on academic then sure, two or three aways at places like Columbia and MGH are probably a better fit for you. I still recommend one operative and one academic just to make sure you get a feel for what you want when it comes to interviewing and ranking programs. I don't think chairs and PDs are turning their noses up to you having done aways at BNI, USC and Pitt if you're at an interview at Hopkins or WashU.
(03-11-2018, 07:59 PM)notaguest Wrote: I have been getting mixed advice on trying to get in three subi's in a row v only two before ERAS is due. I want to get as much exposure as possible but also don't want to die. Any advice either for or against here? Thanks

Applicant that matched this cycle.  Wanted to second that 4 sub-I's (including home) is a great idea if you have the time and energy.  About one third of applicants on the trail are doing this. Don't be surprised if your interviews at top programs are sub-I heavy as my sub-I's were among my best interviews.  Demonstrating clinical vs. academic, sub-specialty or georgraphic focus with sub-I choice will help as just about every interview will ask you how you liked your aways and why you chose them.
If doing three away rotations, when should we try and be done with them? My home sub-I is in July, and trying to plan for possibly August, September, and October? If they run into November am I just overstaying my welcome?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)