Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Didn't match
Hey everyone, 

I didn't match but I'm determined to become a neurosurgeon. What programs offer prelim years that I could apply to? Are these through SOAP, or should I contact the program coordinator/director directly?

Thanks!
(03-12-2018, 12:38 PM)Guest Wrote: Hey everyone, 

I didn't match but I'm determined to become a neurosurgeon. What programs offer prelim years that I could apply to? Are these through SOAP, or should I contact the program coordinator/director directly?

Thanks!

Sorry you didn't match. idk how credible my advice is since im a fellow applicant but here's some tips. 

Choice 1: Research year/fresh away rotations/new letters/new PS is usually the way to go I would think.

If you don't choose that route, research some programs that do Choice 2: pre-residency fellowships but that also are known to match people into NSG either at their home program or somewhere else.I've heard that a lot of them just use you for free labor and don't have a good track record of helping applicants. 

Choice 3: probably a gen surg pre-lim year at a place with a good neurosurgery program. Check this list out from reddit: 

https://osprey.shinyapps.io/ResidencyData/

A lot of solid universities had open prelim spots in previous years. Things is, a prelim year kinda sucks--you're basically a scut monkey but whatever it's what you have to do.  If you could work your ass off, make connections with the neurosurgeons there, maybe you'll have a better shot next year. 

Other ppl feel free to chime in. Best of luck.

(03-12-2018, 01:25 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-12-2018, 12:38 PM)Guest Wrote: Hey everyone, 

Thanks!

Sorry you didn't match. idk how credible my advice is since im a fellow applicant but here's some tips. 

Choice 1: Research year/fresh away rotations/new letters/new PS is usually the way to go I would think.

If you don't choose that route, research some programs that do Choice 2: pre-residency fellowships but that also are known to match people into NSG either at their home program or somewhere else.I've heard that a lot of them just use you for free labor and don't have a good track record of helping applicants. 

Choice 3: probably a gen surg pre-lim year at a place with a good neurosurgery program. Check this list out from reddit: 

https://osprey.shinyapps.io/ResidencyData/

A lot of solid universities had open prelim spots in previous years. Things is, a prelim year kinda sucks--you're basically a scut monkey but whatever it's what you have to do.  If you could work your ass off, make connections with the neurosurgeons there, maybe you'll have a better shot next year. 

Other ppl feel free to chime in. Best of luck.

forgot to mention--Regarding that list on reddits, you can select to only see places  that had SOAP positions in previous years. So to answer your question, you would apply through SOAP in the next few days if you were to go this route.
Which programs didn’t match this year?
(03-12-2018, 02:32 PM)Guest Wrote: Which programs didn’t match this year?

none. 225 spots, 0 unfilled. Stats per NRMP "reports" section
(03-12-2018, 03:00 PM)Guest Wrote:

Wow. How many applicants this year, domestic and foreign, anyone know?
(03-12-2018, 03:03 PM)Guest Wrote:

305 US and Canadian grads. 112 IMGs. Stats per ACGME preliminary data.
(03-12-2018, 03:09 PM)Guest Wrote:

Would you please share the link?
(03-12-2018, 04:32 PM)Guest Wrote:

AAMC prelim data ****

https://www.aamc.org/services/eras/stats...stats.html

go to Prelimary data  (ERAS 2018)
(03-12-2018, 04:36 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-12-2018, 04:32 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-12-2018, 03:00 PM)Guest Wrote: none. 225 spots, 0 unfilled. Stats per NRMP "reports" section

AAMC prelim data ****

https://www.aamc.org/services/eras/stats...stats.html

go to Prelimary data  (ERAS 2018)
Thanks!
Don't give up. I went through it back in the day. Perseverance really will pay off.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)