Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any chance for someone not from top med schools?
PI am currently a M2. Just took Step 1, and am waiting for my score. I looked at the match list from last year and this year.  Looks like the vast majority matched are from top schools like HMS, Duke, Stanford, Penn, etc. I am from state school. I wonder if it is realistic for someone like me to have a chance to match. Any insights will be greatly appreciated.
(03-18-2018, 07:30 PM)Guest Wrote: PI am currently a M2. Just took Step 1, and am waiting for my score. I looked at the match list from last year and this year.  Looks like the vast majority matched are from top schools like HMS, Duke, Stanford, Penn, etc. I am from state school. I wonder if it is realistic for someone like me to have a chance to match. Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

No need to elaborate; regardless of your medical school, decent step scores, letters and subIs will get you in
Dude. Look at the Match list from this year. BNI, Columbia, UVA, UW, Emory, UPMC, etc. all matched residents from "state" schools. I think that most residency programs are well beyond just looking at private med schools to determine fit and potential.
I disagree with the above poster. Going to a school without a home program and/or school without big name reputation will make this an uphill battle. You can still math and match well but you will have to work significantly harder than a person from a place with a program or big name school. Be realistic with your goals and consider doing a research year
The applicants I met on the trail this year without a home program were definitely more stressed but with hard work you can make it happen. It looks from what people have posted so far they have mostly matched into decent programs.
(03-18-2018, 07:52 PM)Guest Wrote: I disagree with the above poster. Going to a school without a home program and/or school without big name reputation will make this an uphill battle. You can still math and match well but you will have to work significantly harder than a person from a place with a program or big name school. Be realistic with your goals and consider doing a research year

I agree with this for the most part. The advantages of having a home program are incredible from the POV of an applicant without one. This by no means invalidates the hard work and merit of those applicants fortunate enough to come from such a program. But the support system, resources, and opportunities that they enjoy will lend a significant advantage to their applications. Mitigating this is not easy, but as shown from the matches this year, certainly possible. You should remain cognizant of the weaknesses of your application, address them as best you can, and network early and often. 

That being said, I do not personally think a research year is necessary. It will certainly help, but is not necessary imo.
(03-18-2018, 07:52 PM)Guest Wrote: I disagree with the above poster. Going to a school without a home program and/or school without big name reputation will make this an uphill battle. You can still math and match well but you will have to work significantly harder than a person from a place with a program or big name school. Be realistic with your goals and consider doing a research year

Tell that to the girl from Louisville that just matched UWash, or the dude from Hofstra that matched at Hopkins, St Louis Uni ---> Ohio State, Maryland --> NYU.  The list goes on and on.

OP don't listen to this BS. Great step scores, LoRs, publications, and a good personality will get you in no matter where you're from.
Just a small sampling of a few of the top programs in this year's match. I think if you don't have a home program, it's a challenge to be involved in research. The poster said STATE SCHOOL or small schools. If applicants want to be discouraged and not apply to top programs because they went to a state school, that is fine. It's just more room for me. There are tons of other good programs who take applicants from state schools.

Columbia            Anna Filley                 Indiana University
Johns Hopkins     Kurt Lehner                Hofstra
Mount Sinai        Trevor Hardigan          Medical College of Georgia
BNI                    Gabriella Paisan            UVA
BNI                   Joseph Abbatematteo     UF
UPMC                   Daryl Fields                    University of Wisconsin
Penn                  Sabrina Heman-Ackah   UNC
USC                     Jonathon Cavaleri           Pitt
UVA                     Mariam Ishaque              UT San Antonio
UW                      Jessica Eaton                  U Louisville
^^ You think a Pitt med student matching at USC is a standout in terms of state school/big name program??? How is UVA at BNI that outlandish? Pitt's med school is better by all measures than USC. UVA has a top public med school. Encouraging cases for this discussion are the Hofstra at Hopkins and UTSA at UVA, MCG at Mount Sinai.

IU, UF, UWisc, UVA all have strong home programs. UNC and Louisville have up and coming departments. I'm not surprised that they produced strong applicants.
(03-19-2018, 01:49 PM)Guest Wrote: Just a small sampling of a few of the top programs in this year's match. I think if you don't have a home program, it's a challenge to be involved in research. The poster said STATE SCHOOL or small schools. If applicants want to be discouraged and not apply to top programs because they went to a state school, that is fine. It's just more room for me. There are tons of other good programs who take applicants from state schools.

Columbia            Anna Filley                 Indiana University
Johns Hopkins     Kurt Lehner                Hofstra
Mount Sinai        Trevor Hardigan          Medical College of Georgia
BNI                    Gabriella Paisan            UVA
BNI                   Joseph Abbatematteo     UF
UPMC                   Daryl Fields                    University of Wisconsin
Penn                  Sabrina Heman-Ackah   UNC
USC                     Jonathon Cavaleri           Pitt
UVA                     Mariam Ishaque              UT San Antonio
UW                      Jessica Eaton                  U Louisville

Keep in mind that at least four of the students listed above are MD/PhD. That changes things.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)