Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 1.71 Average
what is important in getting interviews/match-program perspective
Wanted to give an inside look on what matters, this is one person’s opinion and biased towards how the academic programs I am familiar with handle it, ymmv and the criteria are probably weighted differently at less academic places.

step 1: important as a screening tool, except for subis, applications with a score below 240 don’t get reviewed at our program.  Overall it is not as important as people on this website make it out to be.  A score below 240 hurts you a lot, but there is not tons of mileage for higher scores though higher is better.  A super high score is more important for people who went straight through school or only took one year off.  Less important for MD/PhDs and people with crazy amounts of research, but they still need to be above the cutoff to have a good chance.

Step2: not important unless you do different on it than step 1, much better helps a little, almost nobody does significantly worse so if you did I guess you are special

Subi performance: the people who rotate with us are judged mostly on their sub-i.  Subis fall into about 5 categories: rockstar, good but not particularly impressive, meh but inoffensive, poor but no major red flags, and horrible.   The majority of subis are in the middle 3 categories.  Being a rockstar obviously helps your chances at our program.  The 2nd tier people can do ok if the rest of their application is stellar.  The rest are ranked at the bottom of the list.

One thing that isn’t appreciated on this website or its predecessors is that as more subis hurt themselves than help themselves with their performance.  

Letters: super important for people that didn’t do subis with us, letters from away rotations are more useful than home letters. It is hard to get to the top of our rank list without doing a subi or being one of the rare people with outstanding away letters.  The reality is that everybody’s research mentor says great things about them.  Most home program letters are positive.  A relatively small number of people get truly glowing letters from away rotations.  Most away letters are pretty generic but that is probably because most sub-is aren’t outstanding.  That said, even chairs that write mostly generic letters will write a different letter for the standout applicants with one or two notable exceptions whose letters are always completely useless.

Clinical grades: all honors or close to it is a plus, again more important for people who didn’t Subi with us

Research: very important at our program, probably less important at less academic programs, getting stuff published is what counts so make sure to do a mix of low and high risk projects, important to have some first author stuff, hard match at our program without a history of basic/translational research

Interview: faculty and resident’s impression of you is important, this is a subjective thing, good presence, decisiveness, being well spoken etc all are in your favor, having a good eq is appreciated

Resident input: every program is different, at my current program resident opinion carries a lot of weight, varies some by program, but the residents can blackball people at most places

Calls: we will make calls to the home programs of the people who are in consideration to be at the top of our rank list to get the inside scoop, likewise a concerted lobbying effort from your mentors can help if you are already near the top of the list

Other stuff: if there is something about you that is truly unique or different try to get it into your application somewhere, people with strong records of success in athletics or bootstrapped from humble upbringings tend to get an extra boost, seeing a continued track record of success throughout an applicants educational career is a plus, if you’ve worked a real job put that in your application (residents who have dug ditches, washed dishes, waited tables etc. tend to do well with the slave labor reality of neurosurgery residency)
Thanks for doing this. You mentioned subIs often hurt their chances. Can you give specific examples of what differentiates subIs in the five categories you listed?
Appreciate the post! Something I don't really get though: If most Subi's are just okay, and also most people match at places they did subi's at (also assuming subi's are representative of the larger applicant pool, and rockstars are the minority), then does that suggest that most applicants are just okay/not impressive?

Also, if most subi's are just okay and most "hurt themselves", then why is doing a subi even recommended?
most people are not matching at their sub-is
(03-20-2018, 09:09 AM)Guest Wrote: Appreciate the post! Something I don't really get though: If most Subi's are just okay, and also most people match at places they did subi's at (also assuming subi's are representative of the larger applicant pool, and rockstars are the minority), then does that suggest that most applicants are just okay/not impressive?

Also, if most subi's are just okay and most "hurt themselves", then why is doing a subi even recommended?

Agree that Sub-Is hurting themselves > SubIs helping themselves, for the most part.

To answer your question, it's because we (the attendings that pick you) are pretty bad at predicting which residents will be strong and which will be problems, mostly because we have so few data points to go on.  Board scores, research, and letters from chairmen who met you for 5 minutes mean nothing when you're unable to tell me at 3 AM whether a patient needs to go to the OR.  A Sub-I, in our experience, gives us the most data points from which to pick a safe, reliable resident - which at the end of the day is what we all want.  ANY program director in the country would rather take the safe resident over the brilliant resident who's going to generate emails and (gulp) lawsuits.

The other thing that is underestimated here: it's actually not that difficult to do well on a Sub-I.

Most of us expect some above-average knowledge of neuroanatomy and neurosurgery (more than the average medical student).  I don't care that you can close skin as well as a PGY-2.  Most of you will pick all of that up during your residency.  I care that YOU CARE.  Anything you can do to make that obvious (and without pissing off my residents) will get you points.  Pay attention to what your residents need and what your patients need.  LISTEN to what is said during signout and in conferences and volunteer to do the scut work.

In short: show us that you will be reliable and safe.  Everything else, we can teach you.
(03-20-2018, 10:42 AM)Guest Wrote:
(03-20-2018, 09:09 AM)Guest Wrote: Appreciate the post! Something I don't really get though: If most Subi's are just okay, and also most people match at places they did subi's at (also assuming subi's are representative of the larger applicant pool, and rockstars are the minority), then does that suggest that most applicants are just okay/not impressive?

Agree that Sub-Is hurting themselves > SubIs helping themselves, for the most part.

To answer your question, it's because we (the attendings that pick you) are pretty bad at predicting which residents will be strong and which will be problems, mostly because we have so few data points to go on.  Board scores, research, and letters from chairmen who met you for 5 minutes mean nothing when you're unable to tell me at 3 AM whether a patient needs to go to the OR.  A Sub-I, in our experience, gives us the most data points from which to pick a safe, reliable resident - which at the end of the day is what we all want.  ANY program director in the country would rather take the safe resident over the brilliant resident who's going to generate emails and (gulp) lawsuits.

The other thing that is underestimated here: it's actually not that difficult to do well on a Sub-I.

Most of us expect some above-average knowledge of neuroanatomy and neurosurgery (more than the average medical student).  I don't care that you can close skin as well as a PGY-2.  Most of you will pick all of that up during your residency.  I care that YOU CARE.  Anything you can do to make that obvious (and without pissing off my residents) will get you points.  Pay attention to what your residents need and what your patients need.  LISTEN to what is said during signout and in conferences and volunteer to do the scut work.

In short: show us that you will be reliable and safe.  Everything else, we can teach you.

this is rhe best freaking advice ever. thanks so much!!!
(03-20-2018, 06:09 AM)Guest Wrote: Thanks for doing this. You mentioned subIs often hurt their chances. Can you give specific examples of what differentiates subIs in the five categories you listed?

not really but i'll  try and i think some people will be rockstars one place and meh somewhere else as it has a lot to do with fit.  

rockstar-honest, super hard working, well liked by every one  from patients to nurses to OR staff to residents to attendings, able to get things done efficiently and independently, fits in with the team, top pick of the residents, shows initiative in finding ways to be helpful to the team, always prepared for OR/clinic etc, pleasant to be around,  good team player

good-not as impressive as rockstar but some combination of those characteristics, honest, hardworking, fits in well with the team, no personality concerns

meh but inoffensive- i think kind of speaks for itself, often a poor fit, hardworking enough, no red flags, fewer of the positive characteristics listed above 

poor-some combination of clueless, entitled, not hardworking, and painful to be around, but without major red flags

horrible-some combination of unprofessional, lazy, entitled, clueless, and usually with clear psych pathology apparent in their behavior

For one you need to do sub-is.  It is part of the game at this point and not having at least a home sub-i plus two aways will look strange/bad.  It is also good for you to learn about different programs.

While many people hurt their chances, a good Sub-i performance can really help your application to the program you sub-i at.  For example, every year we match 'rockstar' sub-is who based on their paper application/interview alone would not have been able to match with us, some probably wouldn't have been interviewed.  Also, our 'good' sub-is whose paper application/interview are very strong are almost always ranked above similar applicants who didn't rotate with us.  Like the other poster said, a good sub-i is a safe pick vs a largely unknown applicant.

If I think back over the last several years all of our rockstar sub-is matched at great places. Almost all of our them matched with us or one of their other sub-is, the exceptions are people who didn't end up liking some of their sub-is and matched at programs they ranked above their sub-is.

People matching at their sub-is is actually a somewhat complex topic as a lot of that has to do with people doing sub-is in locations/programs that they are very interested in with and this bias is then multiplied across the whole pool. Also some people are awesome sub-is everywhere they go.  Some people fit in much better at some places than others.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)