Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loans for Application Season?
Where is the best place to get loans for application season? I assume these will need to be personal loans since out medical school won't raise maximum government loans per semester for interview costs. Finally, roughly how much did interview season cost and for how many interviews?
A lot of banks have residency transition loans if you already have your MD. it's between 5 and 10K with a lower interest rate but it may notbe enough depending on the number of interviews you choose to go on
12 grand for 28 interviews
10 grand for 3 aways and 25 interviews. Didn't match.
(04-10-2018, 07:57 PM)Guest Wrote: 10 grand for 3 aways and 25 interviews. Didn't match.

Sorry to hear that. Didn't match with 25 interviews? That's brutal.
Sallie Mae has A $10K loan for those who've already graduated medical school which you can use for residency interviews. It's main purpose is for relocating to start residency but that's a lax suggestion.
https://medicine.umich.edu/medschool/sit...rogram.pdf
How much should I budget for interviews? I'm hoping to go on 18-20 interviews and want to make sure i'm prepared financially.
i can give you a loan. 10% interest
I spent probably $12,000 on 19 interviews. A few thousand more for aways. I heard about folks cutting costs with things like Airbnb, but that amount was staying in mid priced to cheap hotels alone and flying exclusively southwest. Some of it depends on how lucky you get with your schedule. I had one week where I interviewed in North Carolina, Texas, DC, and then back to Texas all in one week. Obviously that was super inefficient with flights.

Plan on at least 10k anyway.

Good luck!

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)