Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is october too late to do aways?
Is October too late in the cycle for an away? Even if it was too late for an ERAS letter, wouldn't it be worth it to get more facetime with a program? My concern is doing an away during the beginning of interview season and missing out on some invites as a result.
Yes, it is too late
No, it is not too late.

I know several people who did an October subI and were beloved by that program. You may not get a letter to meet the ERAS deadline, but you will still learn and network (and may even get the job for the next 7 years...)
I did an October away and it worked out really well for me in most ways. I ended up missing about half of my shifts for interviews, and I’m sure that wouldn’t fly with some programs but I was very upfront with them about it all and they were fine with it. It was also occasionally exhausting to not be able to really rest between interviews, but it was also great to be able to see some great cases with some great teachers between interviews. Overall I would recommend it with the caveat that you are very upfront with the program about what you will be able to do and make sure they are fine with that.
If you look at the interview invites thread, there are a lot of November/December interviews so you can just try to schedule them then.
(04-21-2018, 07:54 PM)Guest Wrote: If you look at the interview invites thread, there are a lot of November/December interviews so you can just try to schedule them then.

I did one last year, thought it helped.  Did not ask to be excused from the sub-I for interviews, just pushed them...was still able to do 22 interviews in Nov/Dec/Jan.
Thanks for all the thoughts. Anyone know of a date that interview invites start going out? I understand that it varies, but when is the earliest anyone has received an invite?
There is a whole thread about interview invite dates
For the lazy

http://neurosurgeryhub.org/showthread.ph...06#pid5606
(04-22-2018, 06:22 PM)Guest Wrote: For the lazy

http://neurosurgeryhub.org/showthread.ph...06#pid5606

much appreciated

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)