Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Step 1
First time poster - I thought i might share my study experience for those looking to game plan/develop a strategy for themselves:

I began studying pathoma with rotations ~ 6 months out with regularity as my schedule allowed. As i got a month or 2 closer I began taking timed Rx Qbank tests then reviewing associated pages of FA (finished this off before dedicated time). Took x2 NBMEs to access progress at that point. Dedicated time then began and I did another FA and Pathoma pass through. At 1.5 months out I did all of Uworld in tutor mode with weekly NBMEs to access progress up until 2-3 days out from test day at which point I did light review. In all I did Pathoma x3, FAx2.5, Uworldx1, RxQbankx1, All NBMEs, Lange pharm flash cards x1.  Around 6,000 total practice qs. Felt very prepared - little to no fatigue on the real deal as a result of my timed practice. Scored in the 250s, was ~ average of my NBMEs.

I did not do sketchy or kaplan. Sketchy is not my style and although I did not try it - heard Kaplan is not worth it. Happy I saved UWorld for ~ 1 month out.
Only 250s?
Just received my step 1, its 232...all my nbmes and uwsa's had me at 250's-60's. idk wtf happened tbh. I'm a US-IMG (Carribbean), and really had my heart set on NSG. do I need to be realistic and quit now? the deck is already stacked against me being an IMG, let alone adding this relatively pathetic score to the mix. any thoughts? how long would I have to take off for research to offset this? how many sub-Is? is it even possible?
Go meet with some actual program directors and ask for honest advice. This blog is too malignant and you have no idea who is responding to you, it could be Dr. Spetzler himself or an 8th grader. Don't let bull shit like that impact important life decisions.

Either way, good luck and keep your head up.
(04-25-2018, 02:00 PM)Guest Wrote: Just received my step 1, its 232...all my nbmes and uwsa's had me at 250's-60's. idk wtf happened tbh. I'm a US-IMG (Carribbean), and really had my heart set on NSG. do I need to be realistic and quit now? the deck is already stacked against me being an IMG, let alone adding this relatively pathetic score to the mix. any thoughts? how long would I have to take off for research to offset this? how many sub-Is? is it even possible?

The right thing to do is talk to program directors or someone who actually makes these decisions and get them to be completely honest with you. I also haven't met you so it's hard to say how like-able and well spoken you are, which are pretty big factors. But since you asked on a forum i'll answer based on my personal experience talking with IMG residents. (like the guy above said, you don't know if I'm an 8th grader or Khalessi himself so take it with a grain of salt)...

What you'll have to do to even have a chance is 2-3 years of research, highly productive research, and a good amount of sub-Is (at least 3, ideally around 5 or 6), which you'll have to be very impressive in. You'll also have to make a lot of connections during these years. Even then it's unlikely. I'd think of it as right now your chances are close to zero, and if you take a couple research years it helps, but still <25% chance. At this point it's a personal decision, based on how risk averse you are. Are you willing to put in 2 extra years of work to still have a low chance of matching? You'll be risking thousands of dollars and years in the prime of your life to still come up empty handed.

To be honest I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. Even if you got the 250-260 it would still be unlikely. You don't need to be a PD or chair to know that it's really hard for IMGs to match, no matter the score. You would have likely had to do a year off for research anyways. It's more about the IMG than the step score.

If you still want to go for it more power to you, prove me and everyone else wrong. But if not you could still do Neurology or Radiology with an interventional neurorads fellowship.
(04-25-2018, 05:51 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-25-2018, 02:00 PM)Guest Wrote: Just received my step 1, its 232...all my nbmes and uwsa's had me at 250's-60's. idk wtf happened tbh. I'm a US-IMG (Carribbean), and really had my heart set on NSG. do I need to be realistic and quit now? the deck is already stacked against me being an IMG, let alone adding this relatively pathetic score to the mix. any thoughts? how long would I have to take off for research to offset this? how many sub-Is? is it even possible?

The right thing to do is talk to program directors or someone who actually makes these decisions and get them to be completely honest with you. I also haven't met you so it's hard to say how like-able and well spoken you are, which are pretty big factors. But since you asked on a forum i'll answer based on my personal experience talking with IMG residents. (like the guy above said, you don't know if I'm an 8th grader or Khalessi himself so take it with a grain of salt)...

What you'll have to do to even have a chance is 2-3 years of research, highly productive research, and a good amount of sub-Is (at least 3, ideally around 5 or 6), which you'll have to be very impressive in. You'll also have to make a lot of connections during these years. Even then it's unlikely. I'd think of it as right now your chances are close to zero, and if you take a couple research years it helps, but still <25% chance. At this point it's a personal decision, based on how risk averse you are. Are you willing to put in 2 extra years of work to still have a low chance of matching? You'll be risking thousands of dollars and years in the prime of your life to still come up empty handed.

To be honest I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. Even if you got the 250-260 it would still be unlikely. You don't need to be a PD or chair to know that it's really hard for IMGs to match, no matter the score. You would have likely had to do a year off for research anyways. It's more about the IMG than the step score.

If you still want to go for it more power to you, prove me and everyone else wrong. But if not you could still do Neurology or Radiology with an interventional neurorads fellowship.

I also would not lump yourself in with other IMGs. The foreign IMGs who match in neurosurgery are usually the top from their respective countries and do years of high output research to earn their spot in the match. As a US-IMG, you will be facing a significant uphill battle. The only programs I recall having US-IMG residents were Brown and SUNY Upstate.
(04-26-2018, 10:59 AM)Guest Wrote:
(04-25-2018, 05:51 PM)Guest Wrote:

I also would not lump yourself in with other IMGs. The foreign IMGs who match in neurosurgery are usually the top from their respective countries and do years of high output research to earn their spot in the match. As a US-IMG, you will be facing a significant uphill battle. The only programs I recall having US-IMG residents were Brown and SUNY Upstate.

Exactly. The couple I've met were basically practicing neurosurgeons in their respective countries who did multiple years of research to get a US residency.

US-IMGs are basically in the same spot as DOs
Just be honest with yourself and do your research before spending 1-3 years of your life trying to get in.
Unrealistic as hell. Should have reapplied to us MD or do schools buddy
(04-28-2018, 07:28 PM)Guest Wrote: Unrealistic as hell. Should have reapplied to us MD or do schools buddy

lol DO's aint getting in either buddy

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)