Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knowledge on Sub-Is?
Im taking step 2 after my away rotations. Should I read up on medicine topics for my aways? I feel like I forgot all of cardio, pulm, renal etc...
For your aways, you don't really need to know anything but neurosurgery. Was never pimped on pressors or FiO2 or anything like that.
Can someone provide some sample pump questions they were asked? Was it mostly anatomy?
Pimp**
Studying NSGY is definitely the highest yield. I wasn't ever pimped on general medicine topics. In terms of topics, I'd say know your anatomy, how to identify/diagnose relatively common neurosurgical problems, how to read a CT/MRI/vascular imaging, typical cervical/lumbar herniation symptoms at different levels, and the common grading scales (they love grading scales). I was asked a couple of times in cases things like "what structure are we looking for?" or "what are we worried about?"

Know how to throw sutures and tie, obviously.
I just memorized Greenberg.
Any good resources anyone can recommend for learning neuroimaging? Seems to fall through the cracks at most schools.
(02-20-2017, 10:26 PM)Guest Wrote: Any good resources anyone can recommend for learning neuroimaging? Seems to fall through the cracks at most schools.

Learningradiology has a good intro. Radiopedia is golden as well for specifics.
(02-20-2017, 10:26 PM)Guest Wrote: Any good resources anyone can recommend for learning neuroimaging? Seems to fall through the cracks at most schools.

The neuroradiology chapter in blumenfeld is good
http://neuroangio.org/ <- great for vascular anatomy
http://headneckbrainspine.com/index.php especially the cases

some imaging topics that I needed to review during sub-is: angiogram anatomy, carotid anatomy (e.g. knowing when it was cavernous on axial imaging), basal ganglia in cross section, difference between "enhancement" and "intensity" and "attenuation", cisterns, how to read shunt settings with xrays (there's a page in greenberg)...

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)