Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New York Programs
Can we get some fresh perspective on the NYC programs? Anyone in the past cycle rotate at some of the bigger places (Columbia, Cornell, Mt. Sinai, NYU etc.) or have thoughts on the direction those programs are headed?
(04-30-2018, 09:53 PM)Guest Wrote: Can we get some fresh perspective on the NYC programs? Anyone in the past cycle rotate at some of the bigger places (Columbia, Cornell, Mt. Sinai, NYU etc.) or have thoughts on the direction those programs are headed?

Columbia & Cornell: are known to be more academic. Often take their own students and Sub-Is/like the ivy league resume etc. If your app isn't screaming academics/research it's probably a stretch. Columbia is often said to do poorly with respect to operative experience/autonomy which I believe is true from what I've heard on the trail. However, the faculty is so well connected that they'll get the job/fellowship they want and can learn how to operate more proficiently as junior attendings. 

NYU: Better operative experience, especially at bellevue. Probably the best place to train in NYC from what I've heard on the trail.  Weakness was always said to be lack of research component but that's probably improving. Questionable history of malignancy? (see "searching for PGY-2 position thread).

Sinai-There was a post somewhere here trashing this place but I would take that with a grain of salt.  People consider this to be the weakest of the NYC programs but I think it's future is very promising. The health system is expanding and referral system is great. Great place for endovascular. However, I can't say the open vascular experience here is anything incredible. Bederson is a tough old-school kind of guy. You don't really operate with him until the more senior years. Mocco is the more chill personality and is very busy with industry. All subspecialty areas within neurosurgery are covered well except for peds. There's only one peds attending and very few peds cases in general. Biggest weakness IMO was operative autonomy which also ties into the NYC legal climate. It seemed as if the residents didn't do as much on average when compared to other programs . Not terrible but definitley not ideal.  A solid strength is what some poster mentioned previously. The PD and chair have a certain vision and set goals for this program. They're very committed to making this an excellent place to train. Overall, it's a solid place to train but the reputation hinges on the fact that it's in NYC. You'd probably come out a better surgeon at a lower ranked (as per doximity) midwest or southern program that gives you more autonomy.
Columbia has a big name and good academics and connections, inadequate operative. Cornell same but a notch below Columbia. NYU, prob one of the best operative programs in the country, if surgery is your thing. Not as strong on research as Columbia or Cornell. One resident took a year to pursue a business or something and seems to be back now. Another had issues. Sinai, good attendings, but trails the rest in NYC. Residents sound content but seems the program is disorganized. Sinai has good local name recognition. Honorable mention is Montefiore Einstein. Good attendings, good operative, up and coming. Cant go wrong with any of these. NYC is big NSG center.
(05-02-2018, 12:54 PM)Guest Wrote: Columbia has a big name and good academics and connections, inadequate operative. Cornell same but a notch below Columbia. NYU, prob one of the best operative programs in the country, if surgery is your thing. Not as strong on research as Columbia or Cornell. One resident took a year to pursue a business or something and seems to be back now. Another had issues. Sinai, good attendings, but trails the rest in NYC. Residents sound content but seems the program is disorganized. Sinai has good local name recognition. Honorable mention is Montefiore Einstein. Good attendings, good operative, up and coming. Cant go wrong with any of these. NYC is big NSG center.

The addition of Eskandar at Einstein is a huge addition. Up and coming program that got the research boost it needed. All of the NYC programs are solid, it depends on what you're looking for. Sinai isn't as crazy as people on this forum make it seem to be, the program has a bit of a bro culture but its not overwhelming like Barrow or Pitt.
I grew up on Long Island so it would be nice to be near family in NY. Any insight about the LIJ program out there? I've read that its a newer program that used to be a DO program. Does it stack up at all against the bigger programs in NYC?
(05-02-2018, 10:01 PM)Guest Wrote: I grew up on Long Island so it would be nice to be near family in NY. Any insight about the LIJ program out there? I've read that its a newer program that used to be a DO program. Does it stack up at all against the bigger programs in NYC?

It's a solid program. Definitely stacks up against the bigger programs but still hasn't caught up in terms of reputation. I think their volume is second to NYU but otherwise better than any of those other programs. Do an away if your interested. Not 100% sure bt I believe the 2 that matched there this year either did an away or had a connection to the program.
Biased posts. Have you been to all of these programs, or how do you have access to their volumes? They all have 2 residents per year, would expect the higher operative volume places to have 3 residents per year if significantly different but none of these programs have more than 14 total residents. Sounds like written by some NYU med student trying to make all other programs sound inferior. Sinai, for example, has multiple hospitals with high volume, residents get plenty of independence and good exposure to all sub specialties with several big names in the field. Not sure what the point of this thread is than for random med students with no experience to boast their home programs without any basis other than hearsay at best.
(05-03-2018, 10:08 AM)Guest Wrote: Biased posts. Have you been to all of these programs, or how do you have access to their volumes? They all have 2 residents per year, would expect the higher operative volume places to have 3 residents per year if significantly different but none of these programs have more than 14 total residents. Sounds like written by some NYU med student trying to make all other programs sound inferior. Sinai, for example, has multiple hospitals with high volume, residents get plenty of independence and good exposure to all sub specialties with several big names in the field. Not sure what the point of this thread is than for random med students with no experience to boast their home programs without any basis other than hearsay at best.

Except.... NYU and Columbia both took 3 this year? And NYU has taken 3 for a while. So according to your logic they do have higher volume....?

I'm sure you're having a good time at Sinai. I don't think anyone here said Sinai is bad, it's a great place to train, it's just less prestigious than NYU and Columbia. Thems the facts.
(05-03-2018, 11:26 AM)Guest Wrote:
(05-03-2018, 10:08 AM)Guest Wrote: Biased posts. Have you been to all of these programs, or how do you have access to their volumes? They all have 2 residents per year, would expect the higher operative volume places to have 3 residents per year if significantly different but none of these programs have more than 14 total residents. Sounds like written by some NYU med student trying to make all other programs sound inferior. Sinai, for example, has multiple hospitals with high volume, residents get plenty of independence and good exposure to all sub specialties with several big names in the field. Not sure what the point of this thread is than for random med students with no experience to boast their home programs without any basis other than hearsay at best.

This is typical of Sinai residents anytime there is a post about them. First everyone who posts anything other than stellar for Sinai is "Biased" and then they go on to praise their program. There is nothing posted above that is critical of Sinai. In fact, the opposite is the case. Sinai is a good program where as Columbia and NYU are world class. So chill, smile, and go back to becoming a good neurosurgeon.

p.s., I think Sinai residents always designate one of them to be on call to monitor these threads. Their response time is excellent. Kudos.
They both took three this year because they both lost residents (intern lefy columbia and a pgy2 and pgy3 left NYU and also someone went on leave or a business?) Neither is accredited to be a 21 resident program...go on websites, neither have been taking 3/year.

Typical of Sinai residents? Not sure why all the hate on Mt Sinai but surprised that with your impressive operative load that you’re even on here. And to say Mt Sinai isn’t world class is nonsense.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)