Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
number of aways
(03-15-2017, 09:59 PM)Guest Wrote: 260+ Step 1
Only honored neurology and psychiatry though, my school does honors/pass only
Brand name med school
Lots of research and research awards
Great LOR from an outside program so far

Should I be doing 3 aways? My clerkship grades worry me the most (Not my finest hour, life happens, there was this girl etc etc.)

> 260 Step 1 + Top med school + research = you'll get interviews everywhere
(03-16-2017, 12:25 AM)Guest Wrote: Not honoring Surgery, Internal and ObGyn will hurt. But the rest of your stats are above average and should get you interviews at most programs. If you kill it at 2 away Sub-Is and turn them into a match, or at least great LORs, then why do 3. Quality may be more important than quantity.  At your interviews, have a well prepared and compelling explanation for your grades. Do not use "life happens.....". Every spot is important and every program looks for reliable and mature candidates and any indication that your personal life can derail your work is a flag.

(03-16-2017, 12:33 AM)Guest Wrote: Your step 1 score will carry you, it's much more important than anything else.

(03-16-2017, 11:05 AM)Guest Wrote:
Brand name med school

Should I be doing 3 aways? My clerkship grades worry me the most (Not my finest hour, life happens, there was this girl etc etc.)

Thanks for the feedback guys.

If I'm being completely honest with myself, I had a hard time studying for shelf exams, and putting my best into patient care at the same time. I'm not sure how I would respond if asked about these grades. All of my attending/resident evaluations are excellent, which will be included in the Deans Letter. In retrospect, I should have found ways to make time for studying. To give you an example, I studied for my IM shelf all within the last week. I'm not a bad test taker. It was stupid of me.
(03-16-2017, 11:16 AM)Guest Wrote:
(03-16-2017, 12:25 AM)Guest Wrote: Not honoring Surgery, Internal and ObGyn will hurt. But the rest of your stats are above average and should get you interviews at most programs. If you kill it at 2 away Sub-Is and turn them into a match, or at least great LORs, then why do 3. Quality may be more important than quantity.  At your interviews, have a well prepared and compelling explanation for your grades. Do not use "life happens.....". Every spot is important and every program looks for reliable and mature candidates and any indication that your personal life can derail your work is a flag.

(03-16-2017, 12:33 AM)Guest Wrote: Your step 1 score will carry you, it's much more important than anything else.

Brand name med school

If I'm being completely honest with myself, I had a hard time studying for shelf exams, and putting my best into patient care at the same time. I'm not sure how I would respond if asked about these grades. All of my attending/resident evaluations are excellent, which will be included in the Deans Letter. In retrospect, I should have found ways to make time for studying. To give you an example, I studied for my IM shelf all within the last week. I'm not a bad test taker. It was stupid of me.

Dude. The above post that said "> 260 Step 1 + Top med school + research = you'll get interviews everywhere" couldn't have said it better. With those stats you'll be fine, just have a prepared answer for interviews on the other stuff. I'm sure that clerkship grades wont be the focus of the whole interview, it may not even come up.
(03-16-2017, 11:16 AM)Guest Wrote:

Brand name med school

Don't bring up weaknesses. If questioned, address what happened to impact your performance honestly. Explain how you learned from this experience and how it will make you a better doctor moving forward. Do well on your Sub-Is and get good letters. If you do well on Step 2 your clerkship grades won't be questioned.

I don't think you need to do 3 or 4 aways. I think 2 aways at solid programs around the caliber of your home institution should be fine. If you go to a top med school you're essentially guaranteed to match with a 260 and above average research experience.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)