Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
number of aways
Lol, my chair told me to do 1 home and 3 aways. So clueless. And he told me to take Step 2 before the ERAS. Ain't nobody got time for that. What are these people thinking?????
(01-28-2017, 10:28 PM)Guest Wrote: Lol, my chair told me to do 1 home and 3 aways. So clueless. And he told me to take Step 2 before the ERAS. Ain't nobody got time for that. What are these people thinking?????

more than likely he told you to frontload Step 2 and do many aways because you are not as strong a candidate as you may think. average/fringe candidates are often encouraged to do more sub-Is to highlight themselves to programs that would otherwise overlook them in the application/match. you are more likely to match at a sub-I after all...
(01-28-2017, 10:28 PM)Guest Wrote: Lol, my chair told me to do 1 home and 3 aways.  So clueless.  And he told me to take Step 2 before the ERAS.  Ain't nobody got time for that.  What are these people thinking?????

step 1?
230s. I didn't think that was so bad. He made it seem like a terrible mistake...like I committed a crime. The rest of my app is spotless.
230's puts you between the 10th and 20th percentile bro. That is a horrible mistake.

230's puts you between the 10th and 20th percentile bro. That is a horrible mistake.
What kind of score do you need so it doesn't matter anymore? 255+? I know the average was 249, don't really know the spread.
(01-30-2017, 12:00 AM)Neurofibroma Wrote: What kind of score do you need so it doesn't matter anymore? 255+? I know the average was 249, don't really know the spread.

There is no specific number. Many other factors are involved and nothing is impossible. For example a 240 will get you an interview at all top programs if you went to Harvard or Hopkins Med School. whereas for International Med Schools even a 270 may not cut it at some programs.  On average if you have great 3rd & 4th year grades, great LORs, and some impressive research, then a 245 will not preclude you from consideration at any program. Even if you have a 230, but have a connected NSG advocate, you are still in the game.  Lets face it, you would be far more likely to try a "sub-par" product if a close friend or a trusted colleague recommends it to you. That 249 average includes a lot of outliers at both sides of the curve.
260+ Step 1
Only honored neurology and psychiatry though, my school does honors/pass only
Brand name med school
Lots of research and research awards
Great LOR from an outside program so far

Should I be doing 3 aways? My clerkship grades worry me the most (Not my finest hour, life happens, there was this girl etc etc.)
Not honoring Surgery, Internal and ObGyn will hurt. But the rest of your stats are above average and should get you interviews at most programs. If you kill it at 2 away Sub-Is and turn them into a match, or at least great LORs, then why do 3. Quality may be more important than quantity. At your interviews, have a well prepared and compelling explanation for your grades. Do not use "life happens.....". Every spot is important and every program looks for reliable and mature candidates and any indication that your personal life can derail your work is a flag.
Your step 1 score will carry you, it's much more important than anything else.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)