Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Miami
Rtation at Miami. Here's a summary of the experience.

Hours/Workload: Very heavy workload for medical student rotators. Responsible for generating patient lists in the morning, meaning you get in around 3:45-4:15 a.m. Often wrote patient progress notes. Easily worked 100-110 hours a week. Call Q4, and you often stay on post-call days. Work most weekends, depending on how many other sub-i's there are.

Hospitals: Jackson Memorial Hospital is HUGE with something like 1500 beds. It's the public hospital and tied to the Ryder Trauma Center. The catchment area is also very large and includes South Florida, the Keys, and some of the Caribbean and Latin America. Because of this, you get exposure to a diverse array of cases. You also have the option to rotate at the University of Miami Hospital for a week, which is the private hospital, or Miami Children's Hospital, where the residents do their pediatric neurosurgery rotation. Residents also rotate at the VA, but students don't rotate there for neurosurgery.

OR: There are plenty of OR starts, easily between 6-8 at JMH a day, with great cases to see. You get to see pretty much everything - open vascular, complex tumor, functional, spine. As a medical student, you often get to suture and assist with opening/closing, more or less depending on who you are working with.

Clinic: You get a chance to work in both Heros' and Morcos' clinic weekly, which are great experiences. You also work in the resident clinic once a week and see patients.

Overall Impression: The residents seem pretty close overall and were generally easy and fun to work with. The attendings were friendly and collegial, although as other posts have suggested often very sub-specialized. Definitely not a malignant program, although Heros, the current PD, has been known for his tough love. The rotation is very busy, but a great learning experience.
I can second all this as 100% true as I also rotated there. I would like to add some of the residents treated the sub-I's terribly. Many of the people that sub-I do not get an interview even though they work as hard as stated above. The reason is typically because they take sub-I's well below the quality of applicant they would rank. I would venture to say there are certainly less malignant places than Miami.
What do you mean by lower quality? Just lower step scores?
Some agreements and disagreements on my end:

Yes, some of the Subis were treated very poorly, but in my opinion they were doing things that bordered on insane or completely nonsensical. Ever see someone do something so annoying or stupid that it just drops your jaw? That's the behavior that was greeted with the cold shoulder. I rotated there very recently and had an amazing experience. Kept my head down and did my work, and was treated very very well. Still keep in touch with those guys even though I didn't match there. Raved about that program to anyone who asked.

Yes, they did take on Subis who were not qualified for nsu (step 1,work ethic, etc). Komotar is changing this.

overall the Miami program is a machine. You operate like crazy and publish like crazy if you choose to do so. Huge clinical volume. You work in a county hospital that's in the middle of Miami, so your clientelle (sp?) will reflect, accordingly.

Overall 10/1p glad I rotated there. Met some awesome guys, worked my ass off, and got a badass tan.
Definitely my favorite sub-i experience this past year. Residents very close knit and collegial. Dr. Levi is one of the nicest chairman you will meet and Komotar is one of the coolest program directors you will interact with. 
Operative volume is up there with all the top programs. The hospital covers a massive area and see huge diversity of cases.
You definitely work hard during the rotation but are rewarded by getting to do quite a bit in the OR (more than suturing etc.). 
Research is there and can publish like an animal if you choose to. 
Overall a fantastic place to rotate. Really happy I got the experience.
(03-30-2017, 10:09 AM)Guest Wrote: Definitely my favorite sub-i experience this past year. Residents very close knit and collegial. Dr. Levi is one of the nicest chairman you will meet and Komotar is one of the coolest program directors you will interact with. 
Operative volume is up there with all the top programs. The hospital covers a massive area and see huge diversity of cases.
You definitely work hard during the rotation but are rewarded by getting to do quite a bit in the OR (more than suturing etc.). 

Agree. 100%. Miami is outstanding

(03-30-2017, 11:10 AM)Guest Wrote:
(03-30-2017, 10:09 AM)Guest Wrote: Definitely my favorite sub-i experience this past year. Residents very close knit and collegial. Dr. Levi is one of the nicest chairman you will meet and Komotar is one of the coolest program directors you will interact with. 

Agree. 100%. Miami is outstanding
Totally agree. The only ones who got treated badly were acting weird af. Also, gotta say administratively Miami had their shit on point. Their PC was the most helpful and on top of it. I felt taken care of and went above and beyond to help me figure stuff out while I was there. It's a little thing now, but administrative quality matters a lot when you're a resident
Why does Komotar have his own wikipedia page? Must be self-made, wouldn't say he's a notable neurosurgeon like Brem or Spetzler who actually deserve to have a page.
Heard he got a 265 on step which is the greatest correlation of neurosurgery capabilities.
(04-01-2017, 04:01 PM)Guest Wrote: Why does Komotar have his own wikipedia page? Must be self-made, wouldn't say he's a notable neurosurgeon like Brem or Spetzler who actually deserve to have a page.

Looks like a lot of Miami faculty have pages under the American Neurosurgeons category.  Likely a PR move.  #sad

Looks like Miami is the only program in the US that made consumer reports list of hospitals to avoid due to infection http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/healt...s-to-avoid
(04-01-2017, 04:46 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-01-2017, 04:01 PM)Guest Wrote: Why does Komotar have his own wikipedia page? Must be self-made, wouldn't say he's a notable neurosurgeon like Brem or Spetzler who actually deserve to have a page.

Looks like a lot of Miami faculty have pages under the American Neurosurgeons category.  Likely a PR move.  #sad

Looks like Miami is the only program in the US that made consumer reports list of hospitals to avoid due to infection http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/healt...s-to-avoid
What are you talking about? Miami is not on that list... Huh

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)