Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How late is too late?
250+ Step 1. Recently started 3rd year, growing interest in NSG (the more I do rotations that arent surgical, the more I'm pushed this way). I'm not totally committed though.

The reason I'm posting this thread is because I am recently getting interested in the field and have ZERO research. I've got 1 unrelated poster presentation and one unrelated basic science paper in press (of which I'm a middle author). I'm worried it's already getting too late to get enough research to be competitive.

Another detail regarding my situation, because I know it's important - my school is a mid-tier program with a home NSG program and very receptive faculty.
(06-10-2018, 03:54 PM)Guest Wrote: 250+ Step 1. Recently started 3rd year, growing interest in NSG (the more I do rotations that arent surgical, the more I'm pushed this way). I'm not totally committed though.

The reason I'm posting this thread is because I am recently getting interested in the field and have ZERO research. I've got 1 unrelated poster presentation and one unrelated basic science paper in press (of which I'm a middle author). I'm worried it's already getting too late to get enough research to be competitive.

Another detail regarding my situation, because I know it's important - my school is a mid-tier program with a home NSG program and very receptive faculty.

If your goal is to match anywhere or potentially stay at your home program, you should be fine. However, if you want to compete at the top programs would plan on a year off for HHMI or similar.
Beginning of 3rd year is not too late. People in your situation (great step 1, no research) need to take a year off if they decide anytime after about midway through 3rd year, and if you were <240 i'd say definitely take a year.

In your case it just depends on how productive you can be in the next year. You need to pump out as much research as possible. If you can get 2 or 3 manuscripts at least submitted you should be fine.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)