Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enfolded Spine Fellowship
Anyone know of any programs that offer an enfolded spine fellowship? The only one I've come across is Louisville so far. All the others want someone that has completed residency training.
Next to endovascular, spine is probably the single most popular enfolded fellowship and can probably be arranged at any residency program with the flexibility and spine volume to accommodate it
(06-14-2018, 02:09 PM)Guest Wrote: NNext to endovascular, spine is probably the single most popular enfolded fellowship and can probably be arranged at any residency program with the flexibility and spine volume to accommodate it

Many places allow residents to do spine fellowship enfolded. But beware not all are created equal. Alllowing a pgy4 to do a fellowship enfolded where they are just a dedicated resident is a very different experience than a pgy 8 fellowship.
(06-14-2018, 03:05 PM)Guest Wrote:
(06-14-2018, 02:09 PM)Guest Wrote: NNext to endovascular, spine is probably the single most popular enfolded fellowship and can probably be arranged at any residency program with the flexibility and spine volume to accommodate it

Many places allow residents to do spine fellowship enfolded. But beware not all are created equal. Alllowing a pgy4 to do a fellowship enfolded where they are just a dedicated resident is a very different experience than a pgy 8 fellowship.

This.  I remember seeing a couple new PGY4s at Vandy who were doing "enfolded spine" but barely knew how to do the laminectomy properly
Seems pretty common for programs to allow residents to complete enfolded spine fellowships within their own institution.  What I have not seen maybe others have) are programs who will allow residents to complete an enfolded spine fellowship at an outside institution.
(06-14-2018, 03:22 PM)Guest Wrote: Seems pretty common for programs to allow residents to complete enfolded spine fellowships within their own institution.  What I have not seen maybe others have) are programs who will allow residents to complete an enfolded spine fellowship at an outside institution.

I've heard of a resident or two doing their enfolded fellowship elsewhere. It sounds like a case-by-case basis decided by a frank discussion with your chair/PD. Ours seem to be open to it if there's valid reasoning.
(06-15-2018, 08:38 AM)Guest Wrote:
(06-14-2018, 03:22 PM)Guest Wrote: Seems pretty common for programs to allow residents to complete enfolded spine fellowships within their own institution.  What I have not seen maybe others have) are programs who will allow residents to complete an enfolded spine fellowship at an outside institution.

I've heard of a resident or two doing their enfolded fellowship elsewhere. It sounds like a case-by-case basis decided by a frank discussion with your chair/PD. Ours seem to be open to it if there's valid reasoning.

Can we be honest for a second here?  Residents are slave labor.  The only reason a resident is not allowed to rotate outside is money and service needs related.
This is in no way a dig at the specialty, but spine is not like skull base, I.e., by the time you are a pgy 5-6 you should have the skills to do reasonably complex spine with some measure of independence. Thus, unless you want to do massive deformity corrections, an enfolded spine fellowship should prepare you adequately for life after residency, particularly if you're going into privately practice. Warranted or not, this is why people snicker at post-grad spine fellowships, because it shouldn't be necessary.
(06-15-2018, 09:03 AM)Guest Wrote: This is in no way a dig at the specialty, but spine is not like skull base, I.e., by the time you are a pgy 5-6 you should have the skills to do reasonably complex spine with some measure of independence. Thus, unless you want to do massive deformity corrections, an enfolded spine fellowship should prepare you adequately for life after residency, particularly if you're going into privately practice. Warranted or not, this is why people snicker at post-grad spine fellowships, because it shouldn't be necessary.

Good luck getting an academic spine position without a postgraduate fellowship. Some programs a skull base fellowship isn’t required either. But those guys aren’t graduating and taking top level academic jobs.
(06-16-2018, 07:43 AM)Guest Wrote:
(06-15-2018, 09:03 AM)Guest Wrote: This is in no way a dig at the specialty, but spine is not like skull base, I.e., by the time you are a pgy 5-6 you should have the skills to do reasonably complex spine with some measure of independence. Thus, unless you want to do massive deformity corrections, an enfolded spine fellowship should prepare you adequately for life after residency, particularly if you're going into privately practice. Warranted or not, this is why people snicker at post-grad spine fellowships, because it shouldn't be necessary.

Good luck getting an academic spine position without a postgraduate fellowship. Some programs a skull base fellowship isn’t required either. But those guys aren’t graduating and taking top level academic jobs.

You're an idiot anyway if you want an academic spine job.  Half the pay for the same work.  Spine is spine  it's not that hard.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)