Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ranking
. Anyone else that was let go? What year are these people and what are some of the reasons they are fired.

That's a good question, anyone fired this year? What years are these people?
We lost an intern at Vanderbilt at the end of last year. The person wanted to be able to spend more time with family and realized NSGY was not a good fit. Faculty were supportive and helped them secure an Ophtho position.

These things happen.
I have a feeling most programs are just ranking us by our step 1 scores anyway....doesn't really matter on the applicant end unless you are have an astronomical score
bni fired someone a year or two ago. Hopkins has lost 3 or 4 in the last few years. Columbia lost two after a decade long streak of 100 graduations Bottome line, everyone loses someone now and then. Attrition rates are, what, 15% or so in neurosurgery reaidency?
I would not recommend you put a ton of weight on a resident attrition at a program. Perhaps if there is a demonstrable pattern of lost residents or residents transferring, but attrition happens at a rate of roughly 20% in neurosurgery (matched interns vs graduating chiefs at 6-7 years). I would agree with the example from "VUMC" above in that most of the time it is because a resident realizes they'd be happier doing something else or priorities change due to illness/marriage/kids/etc. It is much less common for a resident to be fired for cause than to leave of their own free will - not that the former does not happen, it does. If you look back at 10-years of classes among the biggest name, most programs will have at least one attrition. FWIW maybe the bigger thing to focus on is, after a resident decided to change fields, was the department supportive or not? Did the departing resident get a spot in another specialty or leave medicine entirely?
(02-09-2017, 12:21 AM)virgil Wrote: I would not recommend you put a ton of weight on a resident attrition at a program. Perhaps if there is a demonstrable pattern of lost residents or residents transferring, but attrition happens at a rate of roughly 20% in neurosurgery (matched interns vs graduating chiefs at 6-7 years).  I would agree with the example from "VUMC" above in that most of the time it is because a resident realizes they'd be happier doing something else or priorities change due to illness/marriage/kids/etc. It is much less common for a resident to be fired for cause than to leave of their own free will - not that the former does not happen, it does.  If you look back at 10-years of classes among the biggest name, most programs will have at least one attrition.  FWIW maybe the bigger thing to focus on is, after a resident decided to change fields, was the department supportive or not? Did the departing resident get a spot in another specialty or leave medicine entirely?

I disagree.  You can sugar coat firings by saying they had a change of heart, but the reality is many programs demonstrate a pattern of malignancy by failing to adequately address issues that arise during residency, firing residents, or pushing them to other fields.
(01-31-2017, 08:30 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-31-2017, 06:34 PM)TBI Wrote: In finalizing our rank list, I want to see which programs have had a resident fired or relocated in the past 5 years and why? Are there programs who are liberal with resident firing?

(01-31-2017, 08:04 PM)Guest Wrote: Vanderbilt, Arkansas, Duke, Penn State, MUSC, USC, Wake, Brigham.  There are plenty more.

The list is incomplete without UVA.

last person who left UVA was 2012, none since
Any reports of firings so far this year?
When did Missouri lose a resident?

Someone had also mentioned NYMC had a couple of firings on the old forum. Not sure if true or not, as it didn't seem malignant at interview.
(02-12-2017, 06:45 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-09-2017, 12:21 AM)virgil Wrote: I would not recommend you put a ton of weight on a resident attrition at a program. Perhaps if there is a demonstrable pattern of lost residents or residents transferring, but attrition happens at a rate of roughly 20% in neurosurgery (matched interns vs graduating chiefs at 6-7 years).  I would agree with the example from "VUMC" above in that most of the time it is because a resident realizes they'd be happier doing something else or priorities change due to illness/marriage/kids/etc. It is much less common for a resident to be fired for cause than to leave of their own free will - not that the former does not happen, it does.  If you look back at 10-years of classes among the biggest name, most programs will have at least one attrition.  FWIW maybe the bigger thing to focus on is, after a resident decided to change fields, was the department supportive or not? Did the departing resident get a spot in another specialty or leave medicine entirely?

I disagree.  You can sugar coat firings by saying they had a change of heart, but the reality is many programs demonstrate a pattern of malignancy by failing to adequately address issues that arise during residency, firing residents, or pushing them to other fields.

Agree Hershey has fired 7 residents in the past 5 years and is a shitty program at best. Check the facts heard while rotating there. Residents hate each other

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)