Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 2.7 Average
reddit
Ha, well I tried to post a link on reddit /r/medicalschool so med students who either don't know about the neurosurgery forum, or that we moved could find us.  Anyway, I got the ban hammer.  Evidently we're just blog spam and they would only allow "organic" links.  In any case, in neurosurgery, word of mouth seems to be how things are transmitted.
Fuck reddit. That place is a cancer
Does it feel like Uncle Harvey was more active than this forum? Where is everyone?
Uncle Harvey had its ups and down days.

Much of the traffic was nonsense. There was far more mudslinging and unfounded rumors.

FWIW, the site has been up a little over a month and we've had >50,000 page views and 2,500 unique users. So there is a lot of traffic, just not as many people posting.
That's awesome! I'll definitely be posting my Sub-I experiences as they come.
(02-01-2017, 08:23 PM)socrates Wrote: Ha, well I tried to post a link on reddit /r/medicalschool so med students who either don't know about the neurosurgery forum, or that we moved could find us.  Anyway, I got the ban hammer.  Evidently we're just blog spam and they would only allow "organic" links.  In any case, in neurosurgery, word of mouth seems to be how things are transmitted.
@Socrates - the /r/medicalschool has a huge wiki but hardly any neurosurgery info, maybe you could send the mods a short write-up for that then include the link for neurosurgeryhub in that info (stating for additional information)? Just an idea for getting it posted on there if you still want to pursue that.
(02-01-2017, 11:23 PM)MS2 Wrote:
(02-01-2017, 08:23 PM)socrates Wrote: Ha, well I tried to post a link on reddit /r/medicalschool so med students who either don't know about the neurosurgery forum, or that we moved could find us.  Anyway, I got the ban hammer.  Evidently we're just blog spam and they would only allow "organic" links.  In any case, in neurosurgery, word of mouth seems to be how things are transmitted.
@Socrates - the /r/medicalschool has a huge wiki but hardly any neurosurgery info, maybe you could send the mods a short write-up for that then include the link for neurosurgeryhub in that info (stating for additional information)? Just an idea for getting it posted on there if you still want to pursue that.

That's a thought.

First, the moderator there I was messaging was rather confrontational and dismissive.  He was correct that we have moved forums several times and, as such, he felt there was no indication that this forum had any credibility, despite the traffic figures suggesting that the majority of people who are in the know e.g. residents and MS3/MS4 students are aware of the move and involved.  Likewise, since it has been a recent move, there is less content here than the old forum (nsgapplicants.boards.net).  He did indicate that if, over time, we prove to be what we say we are he'd consider adding a link.  To that end, I suppose, we just continue doing what we are and eventually it will happen.  My concern, though, is the common refrain I hear from MS3 or MS4 students who did not know they wanted to do neurosurgery going in to medical school is that they wish they would have known about a resource like this earlier to learn what to do to optimize their application and get involved in the field.  If any of you guys feel compelled to write up the field and link here, so be it, but I suspect my time would be better utilized elsewhere.  Finally, there may be a cultural difference involved.  An IM or EM residency is 3-years while a neurosurgery residency is 7.  Thus, there is less turn-over in our compliment over the course of the 10-years I have been involved.  A community like uncle harvey, nsgymatch, or neurosurgeryhub is better suited to our needs than SDN or reddit.
(02-02-2017, 04:50 AM)socrates Wrote:
(02-01-2017, 11:23 PM)MS2 Wrote:

That's a thought.

First, the moderator there I was messaging was rather confrontational and dismissive.  He was correct that we have moved forums several times and, as such, he felt there was no indication that this forum had any credibility, despite the traffic figures suggesting that the majority of people who are in the know e.g. residents and MS3/MS4 students are aware of the move and involved.  Likewise, since it has been a recent move, there is less content here than the old forum (nsgapplicants.boards.net).  He did indicate that if, over time, we prove to be what we say we are he'd consider adding a link.  To that end, I suppose, we just continue doing what we are and eventually it will happen.  My concern, though, is the common refrain I hear from MS3 or MS4 students who did not know they wanted to do neurosurgery going in to medical school is that they wish they would have known about a resource like this earlier to learn what to do to optimize their application and get involved in the field.  If any of you guys feel compelled to write up the field and link here, so be it, but I suspect my time would be better utilized elsewhere.  Finally, there may be a cultural difference involved.  An IM or EM residency is 3-years while a neurosurgery residency is 7.  Thus, there is less turn-over in our compliment over the course of the 10-years I have been involved.  A community like uncle harvey, nsgymatch, or neurosurgeryhub is better suited to our needs than SDN or reddit.

I'm thankful that this board exists. As a recently accepted student, I plan to use this and other websites to help optimize my application for NS.
Hi what was the actual website name for nsgymatch? I couldn't find anything on internet archive for nsgymatch.com?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)