Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Resident Unions
^^ fake news. Poor kids that want money do banking instead of wasting time on medical training.
The California residents (most of them at least) were unionized. It was a net positive. People on here saying otherwise do not know what they are talking about. The union got us a significant pay boost (~$10,000) as well as some other perks. It made life a lot more comfortable. Did not change anything regarding clinical hours or anything like that. Just helped us financially....
Residency wages are still above the median average.
^ Not true when you compare the 80 hour work week versus the median average on a 40 hour work week. If this was a 'standard job' almost half of resident hours would be considered overtime which is usually a good bit more than the base pay. I am not sure why people are trying to justify residents getting paid so low... If you do not want an income boost in residency then by all means turn it down if its given to you, but I cannot imagine a single resident in the country that would reject additional income
If you make 60k and you work 80 hours, the equivalent hourly is about 12.50.

Remember, this is just economics. If they could pay you less, they would. The Match keeps pay low, and since there is no alternative way to get a job, the only way to get at least Seattle minimum wage is with a union.
If they pay residents more, it has to come from somewhere. Probably from your pay as an attending. Paycut will come from there. Money doesn’t just simply appear
I’d like to wildly speculate, too! Unions are the work of the devil, and your God doesn’t want you in them.
Suggesting that getting paid more as a resident from unions will translate into being paid less as an attending means you have a massive misunderstanding of where the money comes from… I don’t even know where to begin to address that…. Just wow
It seems you know it all. Please do tell where this money will come from
No. It’s your burden to show that residents getting more results in attendings getting less. There’s no reason to think that but you came out and said it. So, we are waiting for you to put up or stfu so we can move on.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)