Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NS Match: The unfair game
Glad I saved the OP's post before deletion. I am reposting because many confirmed those comments:

Examples that stand out in this match:

- MD/PhD student at top medical school. He wanted to follow his mentor and continue his research at that top institution. He ends up at a program in the deep south.

- NFL professional and has everyhing in CV except interest neurosurgery. He attends a new medical school and scores 209 in step 1. He matches at MGH.

- She goes to a small school in St. Louis. She knows nothing about neurosurgery or research. She only talks about her parents and their relationship with mafia in East Asia. She ends up at Yale.

- He is a brilliant student at Rochester. He spent a research year at Harvard and did a sub-i at MGH. Wanted to match there badly but matched at a small program in NYC.

- She is a weirdo and doesn't fit into neurosurgery by any measure. Columbia smoke-filled room decided to take her.

- She goes to Drexel! She ends up at Michigan only because she is a girl.
(04-01-2017, 07:31 PM)Guest Wrote: Glad I saved the OP's post before deletion. I am reposting because many confirmed those comments:

Examples that stand out in this match:

- MD/PhD student at top medical school. He wanted to follow his mentor and continue his research at that top institution. He ends up at a program in the deep south.

- NFL professional and has everyhing in CV except interest neurosurgery. He attends a new medical school and scores 209 in step 1. He matches at MGH.

- She goes to a small school in St. Louis. She knows nothing about neurosurgery or research. She only talks about her parents and their relationship with mafia in East Asia. She ends up at Yale.

- He is a brilliant student at Rochester. He spent a research year at Harvard and did a sub-i at MGH. Wanted to match there badly but matched at a small program in NYC.

- She is a weirdo and doesn't fit into neurosurgery by any measure. Columbia smoke-filled room decided to take her.

- She goes to Drexel! She ends up at Michigan only because she is a girl.
She ended up at Michigan because she has a near perfect application. She was ranked very highly here at a top West coast program and we would have been lucky to have her. Because she's a girl? What a joke op. Hope you enjoy your very bitter pathetic life. Just because your career  is a failure doesn't mean you have any right to trash these applicants 

Ps: not much familiarity with the other applications but judging by ops comments on this applicant, I can very easily say he is full of it on all counts. You can only be some peripherally related individual because you have no idea what we look for in residents
I have no idea who any of these applicants are, but judging from that last comment that one of the applicants had a complete application can only mean that she indeed had a high Step 1. With that score you are a compelling applicant to any program. OP sorry for your low step 1, you should have known it is everything in residency selection. Your research is a very distant selection criteria.
Did anyone else notice that all the applicants this poster thinks should have matched better are white men, and all the "undeserving" applicants are not? I would encourage this anonymous poster (and all of us) to think about that hard.

I believe that I know all of these applicants personally, and I don't think there are any scandals here. Everyone on this list is going to be a fantastic surgeon. If think you see yourself here, I hope you don't let the haters get you down. As a fellow applicant I was happy to see you all do well.
I did find it interesting that Columbia has burn sessions when picking residents. Thanks for pointing that out OP. Wonder what grade of smoke they have?
(04-01-2017, 10:03 PM)Guest Wrote: Did anyone else notice that all the applicants this poster thinks should have matched better are white men, and all the "undeserving" applicants are not? I would encourage this anonymous poster (and all of us) to think about that hard.

I believe that I know all of these applicants personally, and I don't think there are any scandals here. Everyone on this list is going to be a fantastic surgeon. If think you see yourself here, I hope you don't let the haters get you down. As a fellow applicant I was happy to see you all do well.

Exactly. Absolutely disgusting.
(04-01-2017, 10:03 PM)Guest Wrote: Did anyone else notice that all the applicants this poster thinks should have matched better are white men, and all the "undeserving" applicants are not? I would encourage this anonymous poster (and all of us) to think about that hard.

Yes, that was pretty obvious.

I am sure that the two 'slighted' applicants who matched in the 'deep south' and the 'small program in NYC' programs are very happy with their match and could care less to have the OP come to their defense.

Shows the OP and reposter (why did you drag this back out?) thought there was a 'formula' to the match only to discover that the 'formula' is to actually impress the faculty at a given program in a given year. It's called a 'match' because both sides need to sync up.

The real question is to both the OP and reposter...what is your motivation here? It looks very ugly....
Anonymous forums, anywhere on the web, promote a more free flowing exchange of ideas and opinions. The dark side is that it also provides a platform for small, bitter and failed individuals to spew out. Most of you have done your psych rotation, so think of this OP as a severely disturbed individual who is screaming for help. So, please, instead of hammering at the OP, please give him constructive advice and diagnosis to hep him get his life back on track. That's what medicine is all about after all.
(04-02-2017, 07:14 AM)Guest Wrote: Anonymous forums, anywhere on the web, promote a more free flowing exchange of ideas and opinions. The dark side is that it also provides a platform for small, bitter and failed individuals to spew out. Most of you have done your psych rotation, so think of this OP as a severely disturbed individual who is screaming for help. So, please, instead of hammering at the OP, please give him constructive advice and diagnosis to hep him get his life back on track. That's what medicine is all about after all.

You can't make a diagnosis without a formal assessment.  While the OP may appear to be bitter about something that happened, in itself, that is not pathological.
(04-02-2017, 08:24 AM)Guest Wrote:
(04-02-2017, 07:14 AM)Guest Wrote: Anonymous forums, anywhere on the web, promote a more free flowing exchange of ideas and opinions. The dark side is that it also provides a platform for small, bitter and failed individuals to spew out. Most of you have done your psych rotation, so think of this OP as a severely disturbed individual who is screaming for help. So, please, instead of hammering at the OP, please give him constructive advice and diagnosis to hep him get his life back on track. That's what medicine is all about after all.

You can't make a diagnosis without a formal assessment.  While the OP may appear to be bitter about something that happened, in itself, that is not pathological.

Interesting argument. However, if the OP's bitterness causes him to implicate and make multiple innocent bystanders the targets of his rage, mix in sexism, speculation and falsehoods, then would that not point to a pattern of behavior that borders on pathological? Note that after being rebutted and his post erased, the OP re posted his claims and kept on defending his stance. Therefore his lashing out was not a one time episode of rage and loss of control.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)