Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Timing of LORs
(07-12-2018, 01:48 PM)Guest Wrote: Which is better:

1) get 2 home letters, 1 from first away prior to Sept 15th and one letter from 2nd away to add sometime in late Sept

2) get 3 home letters, 1 from first away, and ignore 2nd away letter?

Interested in knowing this as well.
(07-18-2018, 06:38 PM)Guest Wrote:
(07-12-2018, 01:48 PM)Guest Wrote: Which is better:

1) get 2 home letters, 1 from first away prior to Sept 15th and one letter from 2nd away to add sometime in late Sept

2) get 3 home letters, 1 from first away, and ignore 2nd away letter?

Interested in knowing this as well.

the first option. 2 home letters is a bit much imo, 3 is overdoing it. Ignoring an away letter can be misinterpreted as you screwing up that rotation as well
My first away ends on September 14th, and I have two home letters keyed up. I was told by my chief that a letter from the guy who runs basic science at my institution while good, will not be taken as seriously even if it’s stellar because he isn’t a neurosurgeon (just a neuroscientist with whom I’ve published). Should I then just submit two letters and hope to have a letter from my first away early on or get one from my PI?
(07-18-2018, 07:39 PM)Tintinnabulum Wrote: My first away ends on September 14th, and I have two home letters keyed up. I was told by my chief that a letter from the guy who runs basic science at my institution while good, will not be taken as seriously even if it’s stellar because he isn’t a neurosurgeon (just a neuroscientist with whom I’ve published). Should I then just submit two letters and hope to have a letter from my first away early on or get one from my PI?

Disagree. Well known or established basic scientists opinion is highly valued.
(07-18-2018, 07:43 PM)Guest Wrote:
(07-18-2018, 07:39 PM)Tintinnabulum Wrote: My first away ends on September 14th, and I have two home letters keyed up. I was told by my chief that a letter from the guy who runs basic science at my institution while good, will not be taken as seriously even if it’s stellar because he isn’t a neurosurgeon (just a neuroscientist with whom I’ve published). Should I then just submit two letters and hope to have a letter from my first away early on or get one from my PI?

Thanks! Would like to get more opinions on this as well. I’d never heard that before talking to them
(07-18-2018, 07:49 PM)Tintinnabulum Wrote:
(07-18-2018, 07:43 PM)Guest Wrote:

Thanks! Would like to get more opinions on this as well. I’d never heard that before talking to them

You're not going to find a straight answer for this. Some won't read the letter if it's not from a neurosurgeon, some value opinions of those who know you well. If i were you I'd get the letter and send it only to the academic "white glove" programs
I attend a school that only gets out in late June. Taking Step 2 in mid July. Will only be able to do home Sub-I in August and aways in September and October. Should I get 2 home letters and schedule a meeting with the away chair/PD early in the September SubI to ensure I have enough letters for ERAS?
IMO you're better off delaying CK and getting your subI's in earlier. At minimum you should have a home and an away letter in by ERAS submission, but ideally 1 home and 2 aways. Unless you need a high CK score due to a low step 1 score, you're doing yourself a disservice by prioritizing it over letters.
(01-07-2019, 11:47 PM)Guest Wrote: IMO you're better off delaying CK and getting your subI's in earlier. At minimum you should have a home and an away letter in by ERAS submission, but ideally 1 home and 2 aways. Unless you need a high CK score due to a low step 1 score, you're doing yourself a disservice by prioritizing it over letters.

My home program only lets sub-is starting in August anyways
cipro atarax 25 mg tablets trazodone generic dutasteride tetracycline 500mg

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)