Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too many home applicants
From a home institution that typically does a good job matching med students into neurosurg. Usually 3-5 a year. 3 home spots but not more than 1 person typically matches at home. This year there's a spike in interest, probably 7-8 of us applying. All of us are reasonably competitive ~250, several papers, good relationship with department since preclinical years. 

Is there such a thing as being crowded out by internal competition? I get if all of us want to stay at home it would be a difficult situation. How about at other programs? Will they cap at inviting 2-3 of us for interview based on geography of SubIs and strength of application?
(06-16-2019, 04:16 PM)RSZ Wrote: From a home institution that typically does a good job matching med students into neurosurg. Usually 3-5 a year. 3 home spots but not more than 1 person typically matches at home. This year there's a spike in interest, probably 7-8 of us applying. All of us are reasonably competitive ~250, several papers, good relationship with department since preclinical years. 

Is there such a thing as being crowded out by internal competition? I get if all of us want to stay at home it would be a difficult situation. How about at other programs? Will they cap at inviting 2-3 of us for interview based on geography of SubIs and strength of application?

Yes it happens
I think this happened at GTown where there were 10 applicants and maybe 5 matched? Might've been another school don't quote me on it.
(06-16-2019, 04:16 PM)RSZ Wrote: From a home institution that typically does a good job matching med students into neurosurg. Usually 3-5 a year. 3 home spots but not more than 1 person typically matches at home. This year there's a spike in interest, probably 7-8 of us applying. All of us are reasonably competitive ~250, several papers, good relationship with department since preclinical years. 

Yes there is such a thing. Happened at Georgetown a couple years ago, Indiana before that, with double digit applicants and only half matching. Depends on the school though, Harvard had 9 applicants this year, Case had like 11, and Columbia had 7 and they all matched really well.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, based on your stats you all should be fine. It's usually only a problem if there's 8+ applicants and a couple people have below average applications.
(06-16-2019, 04:31 PM)Gxzfg Guest Wrote: I think this happened at GTown where there were 10 applicants and maybe 5 matched? Might've been another school don't quote me on it.

Let’s not forget that in addition to being overcrowded Georgetown chairman functions like a patient
Harvard and Case both have two associated home programs (BWH/MGH and CCF/CWRU). Not many institutions have that luxury. I'd say having too many home applicants definitely splits up the interview invites assuming everyone is around the same competitiveness.

Also note that departments and chairs play favorites. Not everyone is going to get the same quality of letter. There will be coded language denotating who is the best applicant and PDs look out for that.
(06-16-2019, 11:02 PM)Guest Wrote:
(06-16-2019, 04:31 PM)Gxzfg  Guest Wrote: I think this happened at GTown where there were 10 applicants and maybe 5 matched? Might've been another school don't quote me on it.

Let’s not forget that in addition to being overcrowded Georgetown chairman functions like a patient

8 applied in 2018, 2 matched.
(06-17-2019, 07:41 PM)Guest Wrote:
(06-16-2019, 11:02 PM)Guest Wrote:
(06-16-2019, 04:31 PM)Gxzfg  Guest Wrote: I think this happened at GTown where there were 10 applicants and maybe 5 matched? Might've been another school don't quote me on it.

8 applied in 2018, 2 matched.

That's horrendous
So a sole applicant coming from a comparable medical school, similar pubs with a 235 Step 1 will have a better shot than some of the 250 Step 1 students coming from this school?
(06-18-2019, 12:03 PM)Guest Wrote: So a sole applicant coming from a comparable medical school, similar pubs with a 235 Step 1 will have a better shot than some of the 250 Step 1 students coming from this school?

Maybe

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)