Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
residency training in canada - Practicing in USA
Just wondering how this works.

If I finish my neurosurgical residency training in Canada, and pass the board exams, obtain the FRCSC,

Whats the procedure involved if i wanted to practice in the US? (Assuming I already have all my USMLEs done)

Would i have to write the USA board exams of neurosurgery residency, and then only able to practise in US?
You can do residency in Canada and practice in the US. Most people do a fellowship in the US to line up a job. However, you can't ever be board certified.
being not board certified offers me what disadvantages, if I can manage to get a job anyway after a fellowship.?

sorry for the noob questions. appreciate your reply.
(05-23-2017, 12:31 AM)Guest Wrote: being not board certified offers me what disadvantages, if I can manage to get a job anyway after a fellowship.?

- Salaries below the market 
- Jobs that board-certified neurosurgeons do not want.
oh.. with the surplus of canadian residents that pass out each year, with very low employment opportunities in Canada, I wonder what do they all end up doing?
(05-23-2017, 01:50 AM)Guest Wrote:
(05-23-2017, 12:31 AM)Guest Wrote: being not board certified offers me what disadvantages, if I can manage to get a job anyway after a fellowship.?

Are you sure about this?
(05-23-2017, 09:00 PM)Guest Wrote:

Are you sure about this?

This does not seem right to me. At my institution, there are at least 2 neurosurgeons who did Medical school + residency in Canada, followed by fellowship here in the US. Both command very high salaries and are in senior academic positions. Seems like good jobs to me.
Most Canadian trained neurosurgeons land decent jobs, even within academia. Pretty sure UC Davis just hired a fellow from Case Western. It may be a little harder if you don't have a green card, but otherwise, with a US fellowship, you will find a position in the US. Maybe not in your favorite location or the amount of money you wanted but not the end of the world.
(05-23-2017, 09:35 PM)estheezy Wrote:

Are you sure about this?

This does not seem right to me. At my institution, there are at least 2 neurosurgeons who did Medical school + residency in Canada, followed by fellowship here in the US. Both command very high salaries and are in senior academic positions. Seems like good jobs to me.

It does seem right to me. I guess you are talking about Miami? Regardless, you should understand that Canadian trained neurosurgeons before 2006 or so were allowed to take ABNS and they are US board certified. However, things changed a decade ago and recent Canadian grads can't take ABNS anymore. For those recent grads, they can obtain institutional license only. This means limited options and lower salaries.
(05-24-2017, 12:23 AM)Guest Wrote:
(05-23-2017, 09:35 PM)estheezy Wrote:

Are you sure about this?

It does seem right to me. I guess you are talking about Miami? Regardless, you should understand that Canadian trained neurosurgeons before 2006 or so were allowed to take ABNS and they are US board certified. However, things changed a decade ago and recent Canadian grads can't take ABNS anymore. For those recent grads, they can obtain institutional license only. This means limited options and lower salaries.

Interesting, I did not know that. I was not talking about Miami (and I also realized that one of the Surgeons that I thought trained in Canada actually did Residency in the US), but this is interesting to know!

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)