Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CAST vs. ACGME
Is CAST equals to ACGME accredited fellowship?
I can't see any ACGME accreditation in fellowship program descriptions but some of them have CAST accreditation.
(06-11-2017, 11:58 PM)Fellow Wrote: Is CAST equals to ACGME accredited fellowship?
I can't see any ACGME accreditation in fellowship program descriptions but some of them have CAST accreditation.

CAST is all that matters. ACGME is only relevant to peds.
Why are non-CAST fellowships often filled? Will those still work outside of academics?
I think CAST may or may not work outside academics, but for many it is just good experience with good mentors.
(01-04-2020, 03:30 AM)Guest Wrote:
(06-11-2017, 11:58 PM)Fellow Wrote: Is CAST equals to ACGME accredited fellowship?

CAST is all that matters. ACGME is only relevant to peds.

ACGME does not accredit Peds.
Med student here. Would someone please mind explaining the difference? What does a CAST accredited fellowship give you that non-CAST does not, practically speaking? Thanks
Peds is different in that it has to be post-grad and matriculants are selected by a match process, I don’t think it’s the ACGME that controls it but some other similar entity. CAST is run by the ABNS and basically serves as a rubber-stamp that your training in a subspecialty was comprehensive. Application is by email/mentors talking to each other. To be honest, it’s unclear how important CAST accreditation will be going forward, especially for subspecialties like spine to which residents are heavily exposed in residency, I.e., it won’t be that hard to convince people you can do a TLIF without having a piece of paper. For other things, particularly endovascular, it may be more relevant. I’ve seen multiple job postings in both private practice and academia for CV surgeons requiring a CAST-approved endo fellowship. That being said, there are plenty of non-CAST trained people in practice right now. The field is probably approaching a tipping point where it collectively decides to fully commit or not to the significance of CAST approval. I’d say it’s more likely than not given the overall trend in medicine to increasing credentialing.
UCSD neurosurgery undergoing investigation by ACGME. serves the Chairman right for missing 2/3 interviews this year, disgusting
What are they under investigation for?
unsure, i recently interviewed there for a senior position, and found out recently. seems like many ACGME violations

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)