Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plans for non-matchers
(03-18-2020, 10:36 PM)Guest Wrote: As an attending who has read applications for a few years, I see a mix of both. I genuinely don't understand why anyone who wants to seriously try again for NSG would do a prelim year

- NSG attendings, except maybe at the same institution, generally don't care what general surgeons think
- Less time for research, aways, interviews
- Time wasted learning gen surg stuff you're less likely to use (some of it is helpful, though)
- Less time to get to know neurosurgeons, which goes the furthest when helping reapplicants match. You need someone in your corner because not matching is a red flag, no matter how you cut it.

Do prelims match? Sure, but they have to be lucky.

Depends on the prelim. If they have time for electives early with neurosurgery then it can be useful. If it’s a workhorse program with no time for research or neurosurgery interaction, then it isn’t worth it
(03-18-2020, 11:04 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 10:36 PM)Guest Wrote: As an attending who has read applications for a few years, I see a mix of both. I genuinely don't understand why anyone who wants to seriously try again for NSG would do a prelim year

- NSG attendings, except maybe at the same institution, generally don't care what general surgeons think
- Less time for research, aways, interviews
- Time wasted learning gen surg stuff you're less likely to use (some of it is helpful, though)
- Less time to get to know neurosurgeons, which goes the furthest when helping reapplicants match. You need someone in your corner because not matching is a red flag, no matter how you cut it.

Do prelims match?  Sure, but they have to be lucky.

Depends on the prelim. If they have time for electives early with neurosurgery then it can be useful. If it’s a workhorse program with no time for research or neurosurgery interaction, then it isn’t worth it

Dude stop making yourself feel better. Prelims that match are stellar neurosurgery applicants that somehow slipped through the cracks
Stellar applicants don’t slip through the cracks. Stellar applications attached to personality issues are avoided. They didn’t “slip through the cracks”.
(03-19-2020, 08:53 AM)Guest Wrote: Stellar applicants don’t slip through the cracks. Stellar applications attached to personality issues are avoided. They didn’t “slip through the cracks”.

Now that away rotations are going to be cancelled how will institutions pick up on this? More weight on the home sub-I and interview?
(03-19-2020, 09:54 AM)Guest Wrote:
(03-19-2020, 08:53 AM)Guest Wrote: Stellar applicants don’t slip through the cracks. Stellar applications attached to personality issues are avoided. They didn’t “slip through the cracks”.

Now that away rotations are going to be cancelled how will institutions pick up on this? More weight on the home sub-I and interview?

After doing interviews this year, you’d be surprised how easily it is to determine who has personality disorders. The question is whether or not programs/residents care. There’s a reason that malignant residents seem to congregate at certain programs. Like attracts like.
(03-19-2020, 09:29 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-19-2020, 09:54 AM)Guest Wrote:

After doing interviews this year, you’d be surprised how easily it is to determine who has personality disorders. The question is whether or not programs/residents care. There’s a reason that malignant residents seem to congregate at certain programs. Like attracts like.

Like who??

Agree that this is true for the vast majority of cases, but not all. I have heard some terribly sad stories from some normal applicants with great applications, usually rooted in political issues +/- misleading communication on the part of PDs.

This is false.

Shitbags with complexes slip through the filters and get positions they shouldn't
The amount of nepotism in the field is pretty apparent this cycle
(03-20-2020, 03:53 PM)Guest Wrote: The amount of nepotism in the field is pretty apparent this cycle

Dude don’t be so bitter

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)