Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Programs in this cycle
UT Austin and UNM are the only new programs?
Can any residents and/or previous rotators talk about the differences between Pitt, USC, BNI, and UW? (i.e. case volume,  academic opportunities available, lifestyle, culture, etc.)

(05-19-2020, 12:27 AM)Guest Wrote: Can any residents and/or previous rotators talk about the differences between Pitt, USC, BNI, and UW? (i.e. case volume,  academic opportunities available, lifestyle, culture, etc.)

Bump ^^
(05-19-2020, 12:27 AM)Guest Wrote: Can any residents and/or previous rotators talk about the differences between Pitt, USC, BNI, and UW? (i.e. case volume,  academic opportunities available, lifestyle, culture, etc.)

Bump ^^

Maybe I am missing something, but why does it seem like everyone on the forum only cares or wants to know about the same 5 programs. There's slightly over 100 programs and more than 200 positions. Only a handful of applicants will actually end up at these "top" programs and there are countless posts and threads talking about these same 5-10 programs. I don't understand why people are obsessed and continually ask about them when every other thread/post talks about these programs. There are plenty of other programs that exist.
(05-19-2020, 01:15 AM)Guest Wrote:

Bump ^^

Maybe I am missing something, but why does it seem like everyone on the forum only cares or wants to know about the same 5 programs. There's slightly over 100 programs and more than 200 positions. Only a handful of applicants will actually end up at these "top" programs and there are countless posts and threads talking about these same 5-10 programs. I don't understand why people are obsessed and continually ask about them when every other thread/post talks about these programs. There are plenty of other programs that exist.
Maybe because these programs have some of the greatest academic output and influence the very field we are in? It is "wrong" to be striving to be a future resident at these amazing places? If you are SO interested in a thread about the other 100 programs such as how the University of Oklahoma is trying to establish its neuro-oncology department, or the great things going on University of Iowa maybe you should create one...

Bump ^^

Bump
(05-19-2020, 01:15 AM)Guest Wrote:

Bump ^^

Totally agree. It really sets people up for a mental "failure" because they don't match at a top-10 program. Guess what? You can still come out a great neurosurgeon! So much of residency is what you make of it. Are you pre-reading on surgical anatomy? Are you evaluating your own mistakes? Are you doing research on a topic of interest? Even places like Miami and UW can produce residents who can't operate and lesser known places (eg, Tufts, Iowa, etc) can produce excellently skilled neurosurgeons. So much of residency is what you make of it.
How is Iowa a lesser known place?
(05-19-2020, 04:49 PM)Guest Wrote: How is Iowa a lesser known place?

My point in the post above exactly. It's not a lesser known place, but this site can make you feel like you did something wrong by matching there.
What are the best academic programs that don't sacrifice operative experience? We always hear about UCSF/Mayo/UW, but where would be the next steps after those?
(05-19-2020, 04:58 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 04:49 PM)Guest Wrote: How is Iowa a lesser known place?

My point in the post above exactly. It's not a lesser known place, but this site can make you feel like you did something wrong by matching there.

I couldn’t agree more. I matched at Columbia a couple years back, and was thrilled as it was my dream program. Then I got on this site, and the perpetual bashing of it - and programs “like” it - really made me second guess myself for a bit. You have to know what you want and go for it. Happiness is so valuable.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)