Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pandemic matching
Hi all, I appreciate the input upper levels have been contributing to this forum. 

I recently found out I had only “passed” all shelves except one “high pass” in peds. Is this a death sentence in neurosurgery? Stats are 242 step 1, 26 neurosurgery pubs (handful first author) I’m from a new west coast MD school with no home program, but have solid letters from my neurosurgical mentors. Step 2 results are pending. I’m not interested in the UCSF, Barrow, or Columbia’s of the world and would be happy to train at any program. My goal is to be the humblest, kindest neurosurgeon possible with superior clinical and operative skills.

If you were an M4 in my position what would you do?
Apply and hope for the best, I don't know how much shelf exams affect your final clerkship grades, so it might not be an issue. I've never looked at a shelf exam grade in an applicant's packet.
You'll be fine. Apply broadly and with those stats (pubs are impressive btw) you will likely have no issues matching at a program given your realistic expectations.

If I were you I would apply and just roll with the punches.

#3 again , ditto what #2, I've literally never looked at a shelf score in several years of looking over applicant files.
Are your letters coming from academic neurosurgeons? I don’t think you’d benefit from a research year given your CV already. The only rate-limiting step would be if you have chair/PD letters that can speak to your clinical performance
original poster: apologies these are my final clerkship grades, not just shelf scores. This is what launched my serious concern.

My letters are from 3 neurosurgeons (1 academic surgeon, my home chair, and home PD) + 1 general surgery letter that all applicants are required to have this year in the absence of away letters.
IMHO all pass + 1 high pass in peds is a bit of a red flag clinically. Programs will vary in how much emphasis they place on clerkship grades but that record would raise some alarm bells for me
(05-22-2020, 05:40 PM)Guest Wrote: IMHO all pass + 1 high pass in peds is a bit of a red flag clinically. Programs will vary in how much emphasis they place on clerkship grades but that record would raise some alarm bells for me

In you experience, do you take into account the school's grading system or is that too much detail to look into? At some schools, clerkship grades are solely dependent on meeting a shelf cutoff (>80th percentile) so even if you get great evaluations, it doesn't matter if you don't hit the shelf cutoff.
(05-22-2020, 05:47 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 05:40 PM)Guest Wrote: IMHO all pass + 1 high pass in peds is a bit of a red flag clinically. Programs will vary in how much emphasis they place on clerkship grades but that record would raise some alarm bells for me

In you experience, do you take into account the school's grading system or is that too much detail to look into? At some schools, clerkship grades are solely dependent on meeting a shelf cutoff (>80th percentile) so even if you get great evaluations, it doesn't matter if you don't hit the shelf cutoff.

^ at my school they're making courses that were turned telehealth P/F only. So I'm going to end up with a P in IM and Neuro. I hear other schools are doing this as well. Doubtful that PDs/Screeners will take the time to read the fine print
(05-22-2020, 06:20 PM)neuron777 Wrote:

^ at my school they're making courses that were turned telehealth P/F only. So I'm going to end up with a P in IM and Neuro. I hear other schools are doing this as well. Doubtful that PDs/Screeners will take the time to read the fine print

Yeah, clinical grades are so subjective as well depending on grading system, length of clerkship, how busy the service is/how much time you have to study, etc.
(05-22-2020, 06:44 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 06:20 PM)neuron777 Wrote:

Yeah, clinical grades are so subjective as well depending on grading system, length of clerkship, how busy the service is/how much time you have to study, etc.

Does the actual grade matter all that much? I thought that the commentary within the evals would be weighed more heavily as it is most indicative of your performance (as we all know you can get glowing reviews but not get the highest grade...)

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)