Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
professionalism
(08-11-2020, 04:52 PM)Guest Wrote: Why would someone with 11 years minimum of post-college training agree to deal with this shit? The same docs that worry about Facebook posts are the same ones that allowed MBAs and RNs to tell us what to do as surgeons while allowing our reimbursement to get cut (4% was the last CMS number I saw). We are the primary revenue generators of the hospital, and need to start acting like it, or we’ll lose more that just the freedom to wear a bikini and post pictures of it.

I personally don’t want to deal with Karens or snowflakes that don’t want to deal with me because of some beach post. They can go somewhere else. If some administrator wants to discuss a salary increase to compensate for an additional provision in my contract, that might be fine too. I don’t deal with extra expectations for free, and I’m surprised some of you will.

Because taking care of patients (generally) and doing neurosurgery (specifically) is a tremendous privilege, and there's nothing like it in the world. Also because it's worth some awkwardness and inconvenience to make sure our patients and colleagues feel safe, valued, and respected and our hospitals function.

Look, I agree that the bikini paper reflected a shallow and antiquated view of professionalism that has the potential to do more harm to our profession than good. But if the Karens and the snowflakes and administrators already have you ready to tap-out because of their restrictions on your Instagram ... well ... buckle up. It sounds like you haven't gotten to the hard parts yet. 

- TT
(08-12-2020, 12:55 AM)TimeTraveler Wrote:
(08-11-2020, 04:52 PM)Guest Wrote: Why would someone with 11 years minimum of post-college training agree to deal with this shit? The same docs that worry about Facebook posts are the same ones that allowed MBAs and RNs to tell us what to do as surgeons while allowing our reimbursement to get cut (4% was the last CMS number I saw). We are the primary revenue generators of the hospital, and need to start acting like it, or we’ll lose more that just the freedom to wear a bikini and post pictures of it.

I personally don’t want to deal with Karens or snowflakes that don’t want to deal with me because of some beach post. They can go somewhere else. If some administrator wants to discuss a salary increase to compensate for an additional provision in my contract, that might be fine too. I don’t deal with extra expectations for free, and I’m surprised some of you will.

Because taking care of patients (generally) and doing neurosurgery (specifically) is a tremendous privilege, and there's nothing like it in the world. Also because it's worth some awkwardness and inconvenience to make sure our patients and colleagues feel safe, valued, and respected and our hospitals function.

Look, I agree that the bikini paper reflected a shallow and antiquated view of professionalism that has the potential to do more harm to our profession than good. But if the Karens and the snowflakes and administrators already have you ready to tap-out because of their restrictions on your Instagram ... well ... buckle up. It sounds like you haven't gotten to the hard parts yet. 

- TT

That “it’s a tremendous privilege” line doesn’t have anything to do with anything here. If you’re saying it to justify that Guest should agree to something that’s clearly a burden to them, and they didn’t agree to in the contract, why shouldn’t your hospital come right back at you with the same line, and say you should get a pay cut? Being a neurosurgeon is a huge privilege that you still get to enjoy, and the hospital can also build a new parking lot/clinic or attract better management to better serve the population: win-win! The job is its own reward, right? Watch yourself with blanket statements like that: they’ll bite you in the ass if you’re not careful.

Either put it in the contract or let the market sort it out. If patients come in, then it didn’t matter.
Don't share all. Duh. Bunch of damn brain surgeons...

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)