Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is January too late for CK?
Hello, looking for some guidance/perspective...I had to delay taking Step 2 CK from December --> January 2nd due to coming down with COVID. I am a US MD from a middle tier school, straight As, 253 on Step 1, good research/volunteering...I am worried though because Jan 2nd could potentially be cutting it close to having my score in on time for rank listing opening if the score takes >4 weeks to come back... Do you think I am in a bad position?
Sure hope not cuz mine isn't scheduled til the end of January lol. Most programs didn't care about Step 2 CK for giving out the interview, scheduled ~25 interviews from an even mix of top/middle/low tier programs and thus far exactly 1 has brought up when I was planning to take it (and that program was def low tier). Same position as you with Step 1 > 250. Seems like most programs just want to see a passing grade before intern year starts but would love to hear from residents or PDs if that is not the case
(12-23-2020, 10:37 PM)Guest Wrote: Sure hope not cuz mine isn't scheduled til the end of January lol. Most programs didn't care about Step 2 CK for giving out the interview, scheduled ~25 interviews from an even mix of top/middle/low tier programs and thus far exactly 1 has brought up when I was planning to take it (and that program was def low tier). Same position as you with Step 1 > 250. Seems like most programs just want to see a passing grade before intern year starts but would love to hear from residents or PDs if that is not the case

Thanks for the reply. I received 14 invites and have gone on 6 interviews, and so far, only one program asked just if I had taken it yet, but weren't questioning why I hadn't yet or anything. I am just worried with step 1 becoming P/F for lowerclassmen that programs are transitioning to caring more about step 2 than in years past. Don't really have any data to base that off of, just more of a gut feeling/fear. Only one program I applied to [the interview mentioned above] specifies on their website that they strongly prefer step 2 ck scores by rank list (~Feb 1). I am just not sure if other programs are like this, but just may not advertise it.
Residents/Wise Elders: Have you ever seen applicants moved down a rank list in February for late/low scoring CKs?
What is it that gets people shuffled down after interviewing.
west coast program, senior resident. we require step 2 CK scores and yes, it does affect the rank list if you do poorly.
(12-24-2020, 03:05 AM)Guest Wrote: west coast program, senior resident. we require step 2 CK scores and yes, it does affect the rank list if you do poorly.

required by when for your program?
(12-24-2020, 04:27 AM)Guest Wrote:
(12-24-2020, 03:05 AM)Guest Wrote: west coast program, senior resident. we require step 2 CK scores and yes, it does affect the rank list if you do poorly.

required by when for your program?

Is this a requirement that is/was shared on interview day at your program?
Confirmed that some programs are requiring CK to rank and are beginning to do so Mid-January. Got a message in the ERAS system asking for scores from a coordinator. End result upon learning my score wouldn't be back until February was a "no problem, keep us updated". Read into that however you'd like. Hopefully the 'rona doesn't spike in January and shut down all test centers and effectively my neurosurgical campaign in the process.
(12-25-2020, 11:25 PM)Guest Wrote: Confirmed that some programs are requiring CK to rank and are beginning to do so Mid-January. Got a message in the ERAS system asking for scores from a coordinator. End result upon learning my score wouldn't be back until February was a "no problem, keep us updated". Read into that however you'd like. Hopefully the 'rona doesn't spike in January and shut down all test centers and effectively my neurosurgical campaign in the process.

Was this >1 program?
Did they specify wanting them mid-jan?

Thanks for your input
(12-25-2020, 11:25 PM)Guest Wrote: Confirmed that some programs are requiring CK to rank and are beginning to do so Mid-January. Got a message in the ERAS system asking for scores from a coordinator. End result upon learning my score wouldn't be back until February was a "no problem, keep us updated". Read into that however you'd like. Hopefully the 'rona doesn't spike in January and shut down all test centers and effectively my neurosurgical campaign in the process.

I added a column to the google spreadsheet about Step 2 CK requirements for ranking. It would be really appreciated if the poster above would include this communication in the spreadsheet just so we could get a sense of what programs have communicated with us if the grade is required and by what time.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)