Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Programs that surprised you
I was blown away by Mayo Rochester. Great ppl, lots of research, and insane case volume, complexity, and autonomy. Culture might not click with ppl from the northeast and the location probably scares ppl off
(12-27-2020, 10:47 PM)Guest Wrote: I was blown away by Mayo Rochester. Great ppl, lots of research, and insane case volume, complexity, and autonomy. Culture might not click with ppl from the northeast and the location probably scares ppl off

Location seems like the only thing not going for them. Culture, autonomy, and research are all there
(12-27-2020, 11:14 PM)Guest Wrote:
(12-27-2020, 10:47 PM)Guest Wrote: I was blown away by Mayo Rochester. Great ppl, lots of research, and insane case volume, complexity, and autonomy. Culture might not click with ppl from the northeast and the location probably scares ppl off

Location seems like the only thing not going for them. Culture, autonomy, and research are all there

Are you OP? This does not sound like a neg surprise...Everyone knows Rochester is freaking cold lol
(12-27-2020, 11:30 PM)Guest Wrote:

Are you OP? This does not sound like a neg surprise...Everyone knows Rochester is freaking cold lol

No just commenting that that's the biggest drawback. Not a big surprise. I was more surprised by someone saying they left a negative impression
(12-27-2020, 11:34 PM)Guest Wrote:

No just commenting that that's the biggest drawback. Not a big surprise. I was more surprised by someone saying they left a negative impression

Same...especially the two T10 programs lol...Mayo and Pitt
(12-27-2020, 11:38 PM)Guest Wrote:

I think irregardless of the OPs experience, I think its important for applicants this year to note that just because a program is T10 doesn't mean its perfect. Neurosurgery is a hard field with difficult personalities, accept it. Each program has its strengths and weaknesses and you need to make a personal decision about what aligns with your personal and professional goals.
(12-27-2020, 11:59 PM)Guest Wrote:
(12-27-2020, 11:14 PM)Guest Wrote: Location seems like the only thing not going for them. Culture, autonomy, and research are all there

I think irregardless of the OPs experience, I think its important for applicants this year to note that just because a program is T10 doesn't mean its perfect. Neurosurgery is a hard field with difficult personalities, accept it. Each program has its strengths and weaknesses and you need to make a personal decision about what aligns with your personal and professional goals.

Irregardless?
(12-27-2020, 11:59 PM)Guest Wrote:
(12-27-2020, 11:14 PM)Guest Wrote: Location seems like the only thing not going for them. Culture, autonomy, and research are all there

"Irregardless" aside, this is very true. Finding a good fit for your personality and goals is going to be more important than Doximity rankings. Just because they're ranked a certain way doesn't mean that's the most up to date reputation of the program, and "top" places may still not be somewhere you would be happy
Negatives: GW, Methodist, Mayo Jax
does mayo rochester have enough volume to do 1 open vascular case a year

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)