Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Programs that surprised you
(01-03-2021, 07:06 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-02-2021, 08:57 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-02-2021, 07:02 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-02-2021, 06:27 PM)Guest Wrote:
(12-26-2020, 11:39 PM)Guest Wrote: Any more deets on the malignant culture? Many of the attendings were forward about that and def echoed a time when things were not as collegial but pretty vague about it otherwise

Didn't the chairman (who's still the current chairman) pull a gun on one of the residents?

I think that's a myth. Jeff definitely has a reputation for being malignant but things are way better now

didn't they let one of the PGY-5's go? like maybe two years back? why do they only have two 7's?

BUMP

From what i heard a PGY-5 was let go 2 years ago because they fell way behind despite remediation. Who knows what actually happened.
(01-03-2021, 10:28 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-02-2021, 07:02 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-02-2021, 06:27 PM)Guest Wrote: Didn't the chairman (who's still the current chairman) pull a gun on one of the residents?

I think that's a myth. Jeff definitely has a reputation for being malignant but things are way better now

didn't they let one of the PGY-5's go? like maybe two years back? why do they only have two 7's?

BUMP

From what i heard a PGY-5 was let go 2 years ago because they fell way behind despite remediation. Who knows what actually happened.

it took them five years to recognize a poor fit?
(01-04-2021, 02:52 AM)Guest Wrote:
(01-03-2021, 10:28 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-02-2021, 07:02 PM)Guest Wrote: I think that's a myth. Jeff definitely has a reputation for being malignant but things are way better now

BUMP

it took them five years to recognize a poor fit?
Pretty sure it’s the same at Jeff, but my program gave a resident every chance to catch up before letting them go. The resident here just did not want to do what it takes. No program wants to let any resident go, but you can’t graduate someone who is incompetent/not safe for patients. 
For what it is worth, I still text with a couple of the residents at Jeff that were in my class I interviewed with and it seems that the program is still one of the hardest/toughest programs. They have a very large vascular volume and high expectations that I was told is placed on the PGY1 now with their new program structure, 6+1, when I asked about our program changing to that model. It doesn’t sound malignant, but it doesn’t sound like it is for everyone either.
Jefferson isn't a program for everyone. It's similarly busy to other big name academic centers (Pitt in particular comes to mind) but doesn't get the same recognition for whatever reason. You will get good training there but junior residency is brutal. Recent grads have gotten good fellowship positions and academic jobs so it may well be worth it in the end, but it's not going to to be an enjoyable 7 years for sure. It all depends on what you want out of residency
Brutal bc it is overwhelmingly busy or brutal bc the culture sucks? I did not get these vibes from the interview (residents seemed pretty genuinely happy) so appreciate all of your input
Because it is busy. Culture is much better
What does a brutal junior residency look like? Just trying to get a sense of what that means compared to my home program
(01-04-2021, 05:57 PM)Guest Wrote: What does a brutal junior residency look like? Just trying to get a sense of what that means compared to my home program

wake up at 4-4:30 AM, not going home until 7-8 PM on average

when home being expected to read for at least 1-2 hours daily re: concepts you did not fully understand during the day

when holding pager expect 10-15 pages per hour on average, 2-3 of which are likely new consults/admissions that you are expected to single-handedly admit/work-up while juggling floor procedures/emergent bedside procedures x 3 to 4 years

when on call, doing the above while juggling the OR with or without your senior resident
(01-04-2021, 07:00 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-04-2021, 05:57 PM)Guest Wrote: What does a brutal junior residency look like? Just trying to get a sense of what that means compared to my home program

when home being expected to read for at least 1-2 hours daily re: concepts you did not fully understand during the day

when holding pager expect 10-15 pages per hour on average, 2-3 of which are likely new consults/admissions that you are expected to single-handedly admit/work-up while juggling floor procedures/emergent bedside procedures x 3 to 4 years

when on call, doing the above while juggling the OR with or without your senior resident

Could be even rougher. My intern year I was waking up at 2:45/3
(01-04-2021, 07:12 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-04-2021, 07:00 PM)Guest Wrote:

Could be even rougher. My intern year I was waking up at 2:45/3

How many miles uphill did you have to walk to get to the hospital?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)