Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just cashed out my Bitcoin...second thoughts about continuing with nsgy
(02-12-2021, 02:10 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 01:44 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 12:41 PM)LuckyDoc Wrote: Hey all. Long time lurker. Currently a US M4 at a mid-tier institution. Had 15+ interviews and jived well with many programs. Good stats, and in theory I have a decent shot at matching based on numbers alone. 

I bought Bitcoin like two years after I started medical school (I’m MD/PhD, so started in 2014). Used money that my grandma gave me (roughly 150,000 USD) and dumped it all in. I got in for about 470 USD per Bitcoin, and just yesterday cashed out 75 percent of my earnings. In total, before taxes, 75 percent of my gross earnings came out to north of 10m.

Before this Bitcoin jump of 2020, I was sitting on maybe 3m?  not enough to retire on. But now I have 11M (before taxes), plus the other 25 percent I still have in the Bitcoin came. I feel like a dickwad turning down a potential match offer, but am unsure if I’m down to stick with 7 years of hard knocks residency when I’m financially in a place that allows me to a do a lot of other fun things...

My question is: do I wait to see if I even match and then decide how I feel, or do i back out early given that I’m already feeling some type of way?

I always thought I couldn’t be happy doing anything else, that the OR is my happy place, and that I wouldn’t trade a chance at nsgy for anything...now I’m wondering if that was just something I convinced myself into believing to motivate myself to get the stats I got. Thanks for the opinions; and to the asshole who want to diss me; knock it off. I got lucky. Yea. I get it.

Do I wait to see if I even match and then decide how I feel? --> If you match, you have to abide by at least a 1-year contract. I don't know how much it will cost if you don't.

You could stick it out for a year, see if you enjoy it, and if you don’t, you can quit and still get your full MD license, which could keep opportunities open to you in the future.
Idk if intern year is something you use to test the water ?
The key point lost here is that 10m is not as much money as you think it is.
(02-12-2021, 02:17 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 02:10 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 01:44 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 12:41 PM)LuckyDoc Wrote: Hey all. Long time lurker. Currently a US M4 at a mid-tier institution. Had 15+ interviews and jived well with many programs. Good stats, and in theory I have a decent shot at matching based on numbers alone. 

I bought Bitcoin like two years after I started medical school (I’m MD/PhD, so started in 2014). Used money that my grandma gave me (roughly 150,000 USD) and dumped it all in. I got in for about 470 USD per Bitcoin, and just yesterday cashed out 75 percent of my earnings. In total, before taxes, 75 percent of my gross earnings came out to north of 10m.

Before this Bitcoin jump of 2020, I was sitting on maybe 3m?  not enough to retire on. But now I have 11M (before taxes), plus the other 25 percent I still have in the Bitcoin came. I feel like a dickwad turning down a potential match offer, but am unsure if I’m down to stick with 7 years of hard knocks residency when I’m financially in a place that allows me to a do a lot of other fun things...

My question is: do I wait to see if I even match and then decide how I feel, or do i back out early given that I’m already feeling some type of way?

I always thought I couldn’t be happy doing anything else, that the OR is my happy place, and that I wouldn’t trade a chance at nsgy for anything...now I’m wondering if that was just something I convinced myself into believing to motivate myself to get the stats I got. Thanks for the opinions; and to the asshole who want to diss me; knock it off. I got lucky. Yea. I get it.

Do I wait to see if I even match and then decide how I feel? --> If you match, you have to abide by at least a 1-year contract. I don't know how much it will cost if you don't.

You could stick it out for a year, see if you enjoy it, and if you don’t, you can quit and still get your full MD license, which could keep opportunities open to you in the future.
^ I second this. Though it really is selfish to take a spot from someone if you don't plan on sticking it out. Problem is, passing Step 3 is the only way you really can use your MD if you want to maintain some type of clinical involvement. Hence why I second this.

This is still pointless, as you will not be board certified or eligible in any medical specialty. You only need a medical license if you intend to practice clinical medicine. This is not required by large consulting firms or major pharma companies.
(02-12-2021, 02:20 PM)Guest Wrote: The key point lost here is that 10m is not as much money as you think it is.

??‍♀️
(02-12-2021, 02:20 PM)Guest Wrote: The key point lost here is that 10m is not as much money as you think it is.

Sad but true. Being that OP said he had 25% left in the market, guessing he/she has like 3-4M more sitting in the bitcoin market. My bet this doubles again and turns into 8m. Just my guess. 

But let's be real, average PP neurosurgeon is making 880k/yr. Graduates at the age of 35 +/- a few years with fellowship. IF they were to get an offer for 880k out the gate, it would take 12 years for them to earn a gross of 11M. Puts them at 47 years old. Average surgeon retires sometime in their early 60s, so maybe in neurosurgery you could gross another 11M over 12 years, getting you to the ripe age of 60sih. If OP just keeps his other 25 percent in the bitcoin market, my guess is he will have more money in the next 5 years than most neurosurgeons will earn over a lifetime.

It's all about the Benjamins baby. Quit now. You can always just tell chicks at the bar you're a neurosurgeon when they asked you how you got your Ferrari lol. Has almost worked for me a few times, and I drive a Toyota.
If you're even asking this question, than neurosurgery isn't your "passion"

I completely understand at a rational level why you wouldn't want to get worked into the ground and suffer sitting on a lot of money, but if you were doing it for the money in the first place then it might be more fruitful for you to not pursue neurosurgery. Plus you'll also allow someone else a spot to match
(02-12-2021, 03:02 PM)Guest Wrote: If you're even asking this question, than neurosurgery isn't your "passion"

I completely understand at a rational level why you wouldn't want to get worked into the ground and suffer sitting on a lot of money, but if you were doing it for the money in the first place then it might be more fruitful for you to not pursue neurosurgery. Plus you'll also allow someone else a spot to match

^agreed. Dr. Goodrich (peds neurosurgeon) who died from COVID last March was an heir to the Goodrich fortune (tires, rubber, aerospace, etc.) but still had passion to work his entire life treating neurosurgery patients. If you're questioning it now prob best to go a different route and allow someone to match who has the definite passion
I think it’s fair to have some doubts before a major commitment like neurosurgery.You can still make a good faith effort, and then decide later its not for him.
This is another example of why neurosurgery isn’t about the money. Clearly other fields pay way more. My buddy sold his startup at the age of 24 for $20M, and my friends in finance all own apartments in nyc now in their late 20s. Shouldn’t be about the money in the first place because there are greener pastures.
(02-12-2021, 07:50 PM)Guest Wrote: This is another example of why neurosurgery isn’t about the money. Clearly other fields pay way more. My buddy sold his startup at the age of 24 for $20M, and my friends in finance all own apartments in nyc now in their late 20s. Shouldn’t be about the money in the first place because there are greener pastures.

This is very true for medicine. If you're smart enough to be a doctor, you're smart enough to make pretty good money faster than you would here. Doctors should absolutely be well paid to put up with the negative aspects of what they do, but those negatives will drown you out if you don't have a passion for the work at baseline.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)