Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Functional?
is it possible to do both functional and tumor? Will I need fellowships in both to be more desirable both to future employers and future patients?
No, its not
(02-24-2021, 07:01 AM)Guest Wrote: No, its not

? There are plenty of examples of ppl who did stereotactic and functional fellowships and went on to have a dual practice. Rees Cosgrove comes to mind immediately. Maybe this has gone out of style with surg nav, but it definitely used to be a thing
(02-18-2021, 07:32 PM)Guest222 Wrote: is it possible to do both functional and tumor? Will I need fellowships in both to be more desirable both to future employers and future patients?

If you have a strong functional/epilepsy fellowship ie including cortical mapping, you may not need a separate neuro-onc fellowship.

If you want to be the brain tumor neurosurgeon in the practice then you should do a neuro onc fellowship, it might also give you exposure to skull base if that’s your thing
Entirely depends on where you're practicing, type of practice, patient population, etc.

There are plenty of non-fellowship trained surgeons out there doing tumors (even skull base) and even functional. We have a guy near me who basically taught himself DBS and does it quite well.

But realistically, if a current resident plans to be in a moderately competitive area and expect to build a subspecialty practice of any kind you need a fellowship. There are way too many folks doing them to be competitive. Academic depts, doubly so. Or you need evidence that you did a TON of it in residency.
It's just burr holes
(02-25-2021, 09:36 AM)Guest Wrote: It's just burr holes

Like doing an EVD, but without the satisfying rush of CSF.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)