Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayo Rochester hours?
What are the hours like? General surgery is pretty cush, does anyone know about NS? Thank you
I'm sure the hours operating vary widely. The main advantage is that you're covering 1 hospital with a 4/year complement, so you have a ton of bodies to divide up nights and weekends, which really helps your lifestyle. That and the fact that labs/MRIs/lines get done for you whenever you order them, so you can be a lot more efficient in your work.
(03-03-2021, 11:33 PM)Guest Wrote: I'm sure the hours operating vary widely. The main advantage is that you're covering 1 hospital with a 4/year complement, so you have a ton of bodies to divide up nights and weekends, which really helps your lifestyle. That and the fact that labs/MRIs/lines get done for you whenever you order them, so you can be a lot more efficient in your work.

Yes, and they also have good mid-level providers. I was referring more to the 80 hour workweek. Do they go over? Is it at-home call considered in the 80 hour? I believe for general surgery, at home call is very limited and on those weeks you get lower than 80 hours. I might be wrong, of course.
Mayo and BNI are elective surgery programs. Save for vascular transfers there just isn't a lot of population nearby to generate emergency surgeries. That kind of setup tends to result in a lower workload. UMich may also be that way.
What’s the point of this thread? Is adherence to 80 hours the reason you’d target Mayo? I guarantee the residents there are putting a lot of extra time into research, the anatomy lab etc. The more important thing is to get good training somewhere that you think you’ll be happy. The actual hours matter less than where and who you’re doing it with
(03-04-2021, 10:52 PM)Guest Wrote: What’s the point of this thread? Is adherence to 80 hours the reason you’d target Mayo? I guarantee the residents there are putting a lot of extra time into research, the anatomy lab etc. The more important thing is to get good training somewhere that you think you’ll be happy. The actual hours matter less than where and who you’re doing it with

Agreed. This was never a lifestyle specialty - even the "cush" programs like Mayo, you still work hard and are self motivated to do so.
(03-04-2021, 10:52 PM)Guest Wrote: What’s the point of this thread? Is adherence to 80 hours the reason you’d target Mayo? I guarantee the residents there are putting a lot of extra time into research, the anatomy lab etc. The more important thing is to get good training somewhere that you think you’ll be happy. The actual hours matter less than where and who you’re doing it with

i want to have a family with my 18-year-old wife.
(03-04-2021, 10:36 PM)Focus Wrote: Mayo and BNI are elective surgery programs. Save for vascular transfers there just isn't a lot of population nearby to generate emergency surgeries. That kind of setup tends to result in a lower workload. UMich may also be that way.

Not a lot of population nearby in downtown Phoenix? Lol (5th highest in USA)
(03-05-2021, 12:32 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-04-2021, 10:36 PM)Focus Wrote: Mayo and BNI are elective surgery programs. Save for vascular transfers there just isn't a lot of population nearby to generate emergency surgeries. That kind of setup tends to result in a lower workload. UMich may also be that way.

Agree. What a dumb statement above. 1.7M Phoenix...if this is not enough then what is enough?
(03-05-2021, 01:07 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-05-2021, 12:32 PM)Guest Wrote:

Agree. What a dumb statement above. 1.7M Phoenix...if this is not enough then what is enough?

Re: Mayo, I think this poster meant Mayo Rochester (population ~125,000 for city/250,000 metro). However, I think the point is valid in that unless you want to be a critical care person or a trauma doc, having a lot of non-elective stuff isn't critical to becoming a top notch neurosurgeon. I mean the emergent cases are epidural/subdural bleeds (decompressive crani w/ big flap --> not super complex surgeries), ruptured aneurysms (skills developed for elective aneurysm coiling are similar to those for emergent coiling; biggest difference is critical care management of the emergent cases), tumor with epidural spinal cord compression (Mayo rochester is definitely getting you spine tumor experience), and spine fracture (techniques for screw placement + lami are similar to elective --> critical care component is the big difference). I'm sure other parallels can be drawn. And BNI is right near the I-10/I-17 interchange, so I guarantee they are still getting enough trauma to make you familiar with it. Maybe they send the epidural tumors to Mayo Phoenix or Banner/U of A (don't know if that is the case). Regardless, I think that if you're dying to be the trauma neurosurgeon/critical care person, you'd be better served by going to a program that does a lot of trauma e.g. UW (Harborview), Miami/Jackson Memorial, Pitt, Jefferson, USC/LA county.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)