Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hidden gem programs
(03-08-2021, 02:16 PM)Guest Wrote: Stony Brook, albeit new, looks like a rising impressive hidden gem program. Faculty seem dedicated to the academic experience, research opportunities exist if you want them, and the town looks beautiful (albeit with high COL). Interested to see where this program goes in the next several years.

Along the same lines, UConn is a new program but the chair has a great vision and I had some of the most enlightening conversations with the faculty (Dr. Jonathan Martin in particular came across as someone I really wanted to be in the future). Only downside was that unlike Stony Brook, the lone resident seemed aloof and I didn't get the feeling that we would be interacting outside of work. However, being a brand new program you have the opportunity to set the culture from the top down as a senior resident. Both Stony Brook and UConn were awarded the same amount of NIH funding (+/- a few thousand) and have eager medical students with strong undergraduate collaborations possible.
Have to chime in about Dr. Martin. He's who opened my eyes up to medicine back when I was in undergrad. He is one of the reasons why I am applying. Super inspirational and one of my role models. I send him updates every now and then.
(03-08-2021, 03:38 PM)Guest Wrote: Have to chime in about Dr. Martin. He's who opened my eyes up to medicine back when I was in undergrad. He is one of the reasons why I am applying. Super inspirational and one of my role models. I send him updates every now and then.

UConn made a great impression on me as well. Ranked them highly over some other more established places that just rubbed me the wrong way. There will def be growing pains but my impression is Martin and others will support you along the way. Excited to see where this program goes.. Recall that spetzler  went to UCSF in it’s first decade I believe before it was recognized as the program it is today.
Northwell. Very new program (2014 start, I think), but looks like it's on the way up. New academic chair from Hopkins, lots of cases across the system, can do Cold Spring Harbor for research year
(03-08-2021, 01:40 PM)Guest Wrote: I was blown away by University of Rochester. Attendings were really personable in the interview and the residents seemed to get along well. Their volume is also impressive.

They also fired a pgy-5
(03-08-2021, 05:36 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 01:40 PM)Guest Wrote: I was blown away by University of Rochester. Attendings were really personable in the interview and the residents seemed to get along well. Their volume is also impressive.

They also fired a pgy-5

What? When? whyyy?
(03-08-2021, 07:23 PM)Guest Wrote:

They also fired a pgy-5

What? When? whyyy?

whats the story on that?
Northwestern is up and coming.
(03-08-2021, 11:15 PM)Guest Wrote: Northwestern is up and coming.

Ha
(03-08-2021, 09:01 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 07:23 PM)Guest Wrote:

They also fired a pgy-5

What? When? whyyy?

whats the story on that?

he is at swedish now

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)