Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Match 2021
Everyone who just matched - your life is about to change in ways that you cannot even begin to anticipate. There is no book you can read or movie that you can watch to understand. Residency is something that can only be experienced.

At 3am on call, your dying patient doesn't care how smart you are, what your undergrad degree was is, or how many papers you've published. They sure don't care who your mom or dad is. They just want to know if you can take that epidural out yourself.

Nepotism is like pedigree. It's great and can get you a long ways in life, but ultimately, you either trade on your own brand or not. I have no idea who this person is. Maybe they'll rise to expectations. Who cares? If they have drive and talent then they can be a luminary on their own. Our field (like everything) is littered with family names where the second generation failed to inspire. We can all throw out examples.

Don't worry who matched at BNI. Anyone can show up there are watch people get demolished by bypasses.

- senior resident
(03-27-2021, 03:13 PM)Guest Wrote: Everyone who just matched - your life is about to change in ways that you cannot even begin to anticipate. There is no book you can read or movie that you can watch to understand. Residency is something that can only be experienced.

At 3am on call, your dying patient doesn't care how smart you are, what your undergrad degree was is, or how many papers you've published. They sure don't care who your mom or dad is. They just want to know if you can take that epidural out yourself.

Nepotism is like pedigree. It's great and can get you a long ways in life, but ultimately, you either trade on your own brand or not. I have no idea who this person is. Maybe they'll rise to expectations. Who cares? If they have drive and talent then they can be a luminary on their own. Our field (like everything) is littered with family names where the second generation failed to inspire. We can all throw out examples.

Don't worry who matched at BNI. Anyone can show up there are watch people get demolished by bypasses.

- senior resident

Perfection
(03-25-2021, 09:40 AM)Guest Wrote: This is ridiculous. If you're pissed with where you matched, do better and work harder. It's not like all 50 spots at top programs were filled my chairmens' children and its not like a department cares who your parents are when they need you to help run the service. See the mess that's happened at Columbia for that very reason (not to say the resident wasn't also a great candidate). Curious to see what happens at Brown. Great candidate and great PD, but a difficult situation for the same reason.

It's similar to how the children of doctors were at an upper hand getting into med school and legacies have an upper hand getting into undergrad. There's no way to truly judge someone's character without lots of exposure so personal connections will always matter more. Be better. Do better. Don't blame the world for acting on you. Blame yourself for not acting on the world.

This thread has turned into personal attacks and a pity party. Sorry to the applicant who was called out. I'm sure you'll make an awesome resident and a great surgeon

what happened at columbia
(03-28-2021, 05:33 AM)Guest Wrote:
(03-25-2021, 09:40 AM)Guest Wrote: This is ridiculous. If you're pissed with where you matched, do better and work harder. It's not like all 50 spots at top programs were filled my chairmens' children and its not like a department cares who your parents are when they need you to help run the service. See the mess that's happened at Columbia for that very reason (not to say the resident wasn't also a great candidate). Curious to see what happens at Brown. Great candidate and great PD, but a difficult situation for the same reason.

It's similar to how the children of doctors were at an upper hand getting into med school and legacies have an upper hand getting into undergrad. There's no way to truly judge someone's character without lots of exposure so personal connections will always matter more. Be better. Do better. Don't blame the world for acting on you. Blame yourself for not acting on the world.

This thread has turned into personal attacks and a pity party. Sorry to the applicant who was called out. I'm sure you'll make an awesome resident and a great surgeon

Matched Chairman's son who then quit
(03-28-2021, 12:09 PM)Guest Wrote:

lol oops, is he still in neurosurgery?

That’s hilarious

? Pretty sure that’s not true. My understanding is they matched a faculty member’s son, switched around call and stuff to favor him, ppl got understandably pissed and there’s been resultant fallout

what happened at brown?
This happens every year, someone’s nephew or son gets a boost. Happened at Columbia, Hopkins, Brigham, and elsewhere. Everyone knows who they are. It’s gonna happen. Just have to work past this stuff.
(03-28-2021, 02:47 PM)Guest Wrote:

what happened at brown?

This is partially correct. Columbia resident was indeed faculty’s son not chairman’s. No switching was done to accommodate anything, he simply figured out neurosurgery wasn’t for him and moved on to do something else. This happens all the time, regardless if your parents are neurosurgeons or not.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)