Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"If you're really interested, come visit us"
Has anybody else been hearing this on the trail? Have heard it from 3-4 places now. A couple interviewers have even strongly suggested that coming by in person would help my chances. 

Is this cycle going to turn into a game of who can make the most rendezvous with these programs?
(11-18-2021, 12:30 AM)Guest Wrote: Has anybody else been hearing this on the trail? Have heard it from 3-4 places now. A couple interviewers have even strongly suggested that coming by in person would help my chances. 

Is this cycle going to turn into a game of who can make the most rendezvous with these programs?

Ya it pisses me off; dropping my January clerkship and giving up what little ms4 vacation I was going to have so that I can fly to like 20 places to have any shot of matching since “it’s 7 years and basically marriage, I won’t rank someone I haven’t met!” Is what like every PD says so basically going to repeat every interview in January/February it sucks
(11-18-2021, 12:35 AM)Guest Wrote:
(11-18-2021, 12:30 AM)Guest Wrote: Has anybody else been hearing this on the trail? Have heard it from 3-4 places now. A couple interviewers have even strongly suggested that coming by in person would help my chances. 

Ya it pisses me off; dropping my January clerkship and giving up what little ms4 vacation I was going to have so that I can fly to like 20 places to have any shot of matching since “it’s 7 years and basically marriage, I won’t rank someone I haven’t met!” Is what like every PD says so basically going to repeat every interview in January/February it sucks

Damn, haven’t heard anything that blatant.

I have been hearing this as well. I am actually thoroughly irritated because I have already made my schedule in light of virtual interviews with mandatory course requirements. Feels like they had the opportunity for this not to be a rat race this year and they’re just back to making it one. It’s a significant financial hardship as well so now I have to figure out what will be worth the cost. Will not be able to go to every place that says this.
My advice is go to two tops assuming this is even legal.
I believe this years policy is that applicants can pick several programs and visit them AFTER the programs have submitted their rank lists, but BEFORE the applicants submit their rank list
This is enlightening:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/ne...0540034820

Hopefully we go to regular interviews next year
(11-18-2021, 08:06 AM)Guest Wrote: I believe this years policy is that applicants can pick several programs and visit them AFTER the programs have submitted their rank lists, but BEFORE the applicants submit their rank list

Yeah well clearly that’s not what is going to happen. A program told me they’re already having visitors in the next couple weeks. Implying that I should get on quickly.
This happened last year too. I would advise trying to visit at least a couple of your favorite or most convenient places if you can. Most ppl still didn’t.

It’s for you and them. The most important thing is to find a place where you like the people and fit in. You can figure out the rest during your elective time in 5 years

Additionally, you should reach out to residents and faculty at programs you like with real questions. Try to envision being there an what concerns you have.

I realize this website is like screaming into the abyss, but these should all be obvious, normal adult things to do.
(11-18-2021, 06:27 PM)Guest Wrote: This happened last year too. I would advise trying to visit at least a couple of your favorite or most convenient places if you can. Most ppl still didn’t.

It’s for you and them. The most important thing is to find a place where you like the people and fit in. You can figure out the rest during your elective time in 5 years

Additionally, you should reach out to residents and faculty at programs you like with real questions. Try to envision being there an what concerns you have.

I realize this website is like screaming into the abyss, but these should all be obvious, normal adult things to do.

Planning on doing the reaching out thing, but it is quite hard to do at this stage especially when you have back to back interviews and are having to research tons of programs and faculty as to look somewhat informed on interview day.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)