Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best overall program based on volume, location, faculty, etc.
(01-21-2022, 04:27 PM)Focus Wrote: I think Seattle has gotten pretty pricy. WashU, Pitt,  Vandy, and UWash in my opinion are the programs with the most versatility. WashU and Vandy get less hate on this forum for whatever reason. Maybe Baylor and UTSW fall in the versatile category too but I just don't know much about them. Like all programs, they have pros and cons. No program has it all. Further, if a program had it all they would immediately begin to lose it.

Feel like Pitt, WashU and Vandy and some of the worst locations though. I guess if you’re from the Midwest/small town  they may seem like decent cities..
(01-21-2022, 06:54 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-21-2022, 04:27 PM)Focus Wrote: I think Seattle has gotten pretty pricy. WashU, Pitt,  Vandy, and UWash in my opinion are the programs with the most versatility. WashU and Vandy get less hate on this forum for whatever reason. Maybe Baylor and UTSW fall in the versatile category too but I just don't know much about them. Like all programs, they have pros and cons. No program has it all. Further, if a program had it all they would immediately begin to lose it.

Feel like Pitt, WashU and Vandy and some of the worst locations though. I guess if you’re from the Midwest/small town  they may seem like decent cities..

They aren't flashy like Chicago, New York, etc, but I think they're all perfectly enjoyable cities. I've lived everywhere from NYC to ultra rural America and I think people place too much emphasis on a select group of locations. No major natural disasters? Affordable housing and cost of living? A reasonably connected airport? Sign me up. When I lived in NYC I ate and drank at the same half dozen places the majority of the time. Yeah, the theater and art scene was nice, but truthfully I can't even keep up with a single theaters plays now adays, let alone hundreds.
(01-21-2022, 07:07 PM)Focus Wrote:
(01-21-2022, 06:54 PM)Guest Wrote:

They aren't flashy like Chicago, New York, etc, but I think they're all perfectly enjoyable cities. I've lived everywhere from NYC to ultra rural America and I think people place too much emphasis on a select group of locations. No major natural disasters? Affordable housing and cost of living? A reasonably connected airport? Sign me up. When I lived in NYC I ate and drank at the same half dozen places the majority of the time. Yeah, the theater and art scene was nice, but truthfully I can't even keep up with a single theaters plays now adays, let alone hundreds.

Agree with this - the mid-major cities like Nashville provide more entertainment than a neurosurgery resident than handle, at a drastically better cost of living and pace of life than NYC/LA. Chicago is best of the 3 in my opinion in terms of mixing NYC/LA amenities with Nashville accessibility/cost, but winter on the lake is tough.
wondering what you guys think about marriage/family prospects? I know that finding a decent girl in NYC or LA or Chicago is next to impossible, they all have like 20 past partners--no thanks. Finding a conservative housewife is much easier in a rural area, and raising a large conservative family is much easier in a rural area. I guess if you like to eat rare sushi and watch degenerate musicals, rural programs might not be for you; but if you enjoy a traditional family life and want to make a real difference helping the underserved--as opposed to competing for rich patients--the choice is clear.
Don’t forget Emory. The best of all worlds
(01-22-2022, 04:13 AM)Guest Wrote: wondering what you guys think about marriage/family prospects? I know that finding a decent girl in NYC or LA or Chicago is next to impossible, they all have like 20 past partners--no thanks. Finding a conservative housewife is much easier in a rural area, and raising a large conservative family is much easier in a rural area. I guess if you like to eat rare sushi and watch degenerate musicals, rural programs might not be for you; but if you enjoy a traditional family life and want to make a real difference helping the underserved--as opposed to competing for rich patients--the choice is clear.

False. Plenty of "decent" prospects in big cities. Far more than in smaller cities in fact. Do agree that raising a family is harder in a larger city though.

None of the ones listed above. Pitt never had a strong name in this field and not impressed with Pitt grads plus the city is not that pleasant. Agree with Seattle as pricy nowadays and UofW is no longer great as it used to be. Re WashU, solid research grants for residents but the quality of training is not great plus St. Louis has the highest crime rate in the country. 

To address the OP: either you are an undergrad or a med student. Such a program doesn’t exist at least in the US, otherwise you will get consistent answers all the time. You will get it sometime in your residency that all those top programs discussions here are far from reality- hope you get it sooner than later
(01-22-2022, 04:13 AM)Guest Wrote: wondering what you guys think about marriage/family prospects? I know that finding a decent girl in NYC or LA or Chicago is next to impossible, they all have like 20 past partners--no thanks. Finding a conservative housewife is much easier in a rural area, and raising a large conservative family is much easier in a rural area. I guess if you like to eat rare sushi and watch degenerate musicals, rural programs might not be for you; but if you enjoy a traditional family life and want to make a real difference helping the underserved--as opposed to competing for rich patients--the choice is clear.

It depends on what you want. I would probably double that number of ex-partners for the hooker club mentality in college nowadays. You are talking about 5 or so partners/one night stands from age 13 to 18, then add 15-20 for college and 5 or so one night stands if she went to post-grad/med school. She might cus more and less conservative but she would be a good person to introduce people too who knows how and what to talk.

On the other hand, rural girls might be more interested in raising a family and had fewer ex-partners (still more than 10 guys or so) but her main her main culture is beer, tarts, fried chicken, crawfish and cheese curds. Would not be pleasant to introduce to other people from high class. On a personal note, most of the neurosurgeons I have met are not coming from high class themselves and survived marriage without divorce their wives are undereducated, country girls, nurses or social workers.

PS: I am not excluding dudes from hooker club mentality. They also tend to jump on nurses during medical school and residency too..
(01-22-2022, 01:43 PM)Guest Wrote:

None of the ones listed above. Pitt never had a strong name in this field and not impressed with Pitt grads plus the city is not that pleasant. Agree with Seattle as pricy nowadays and UofW is no longer great as it used to be. Re WashU, solid research grants for residents but the quality of training is not great plus St. Louis has the highest crime rate in the country. 

To address the OP: either you are an undergrad or a med student. Such a program doesn’t exist at least in the US, otherwise you will get consistent answers all the time. You will get it sometime in your residency that all those top programs discussions here are far from reality- hope you get it sooner than later

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but obviously much comes down to what you mean by strong name. I would argue that all of those programs that I have listed are "strong names", but what you are factoring in obviously matters. I would suggest that those faculties tend to be well represented on the academic circuit of leadership positions, visiting professorships, book editors, etc. They also tend to have a fair number of successful academic graduates in terms of full professors/chairmen/program directors. Each has a few real heavy hitters in terms of clinical reputation. They're also all fairly old programs, as far as our fairly youthful specialty goes. 

Regardless, when I say versatile I am specifically talking about the resident training opportunities. Things may have changed, but when I interviewed back in the day I recall those programs having both substantial research tract and infolded clinical training elective opportunities. They're also larger programs, which I think is critical for allowing individual residents pursue niches during their electives. In terms of the finished product, I've worked with trainees from three of the four programs (and have colleagues at the fourth) and I have not had concerns about operative or clinical competency.
(01-22-2022, 08:23 PM)Guest Wrote:

It depends on what you want. I would probably double that number of ex-partners for the hooker club mentality in college nowadays. You are talking about 5 or so partners/one night stands from age 13 to 18, then add 15-20 for college and 5 or so one night stands if she went to post-grad/med school. She might cus more and less conservative but she would be a good person to introduce people too who knows how and what to talk.

On the other hand, rural girls might be more interested in raising a family and had fewer ex-partners (still more than 10 guys or so) but her main her main culture is beer, tarts, fried chicken, crawfish and cheese curds. Would not be pleasant to introduce to other people from high class. On a personal note, most of the neurosurgeons I have met are not coming from high class themselves and survived marriage without divorce their wives are undereducated, country girls, nurses or social workers.

PS: I am not excluding dudes from hooker club mentality. They also tend to jump on nurses during medical school and residency too..

Good points here. I don't know about your guys, but for me the ideal female would be someone who saves herself for marriage. This allows the formation of a special bond and research has shown that you form the special bond with the person you lose your virginity to. This is a scientific fact. So if your wife loses her virginity to you, she is much less likely to cheat or divorce (I believe around 70% of marriages involve wife infidelity or divorce). 

Believe it or not, you can still find those girls in the rural areas. If you marry one of those "hooker club" types--not my words--you are basically guaranteed a divorce. 

In my opinion, training at a slightly less prestigious program--provided not malignant, mind you--is better if you are a family man and want to live the straight life.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)